Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 04-04-2005 , 02:41 PM
I just can't make up my mind. I made a new set of fingers (2 & 3), but somehow the 4-fingered cartoon hand (1) would look nice to balance the cartoon look-and-feel in my character. Because I aim to make the eyes very organic looking with toon-like eyelids (will be blend animated for heavy expressions).
Then again .. the robot hands aren't bad either. Though think that the yellow fingertips are a bit too much.
Any opinions/suggestions?

Next step are the eyes and head.

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 05-04-2005 , 01:02 AM
Subscriber
I do like 3 the best.. as for keeping the cartoon look. On seeing the revised arm and hands.. I think it all being that way in 1 is just overkill. I think 2 and 3 bring out the charracter of the cartoon look even better. and I also think that yeah it might be to much having the fingure tips yello also..

# 18 05-04-2005 , 04:14 PM
Thanks. user added image
Sometimes I tend to loose sight of the big picture and need someone's objective opinion or criticism to get me on the right path again.

# 19 06-04-2005 , 12:45 PM
Yeah 3 is starting to look very good. And I think it would be nice if you had him have 4 fingers instead of 5. that's how it always is in cartoons, so I think that's suitable here user added image.

# 20 07-04-2005 , 01:23 AM
Cartoon hands are usually too fat for 5 fingers (the Mickey Mouse glove kinda hands) and it somehow looks very odd with 5. That's why 4 fingers are commonly used.
The robot hand has very slim fingers and I would need to fatten them out of proportion to make 'm look like cartoons.
I had considered it, but it just didn't have the look.
Thanks though. :tup:

P.S. Groetjes aan A’dam voor me. Ben er al te lang niet geweest user added image

# 21 07-04-2005 , 01:56 PM
Yeah that's true, you wouldn't need fat fingers like that user added image.

PS: yeah Amsterdam is heel vet user added image.

# 22 28-04-2005 , 10:12 AM
Finally an update. I've been hell busy at work, and struggling to save some time for my model. Only a few days left user added image
Anyways, got the head/body shell done. Took me days to figure out how to get the trimmed edges smoothly rounding inwards. Eventually I had to Loft a few curves from the trimmed edges to get the best result.

The clips that will hold the pencils and stuff, pop out a door at the back and slide in position (all individually animatable).

Tried many (I say MANY!!) different eyes, but end up with these human like eyes but with a circuit board in the iris (individually fully animatable).

The textures are still in draft and I still need to put it in a scene and animate it. But since the whole character is rigged for animation, it wouldn't take much effort to get it to do something nice quickly.
Just worried about rendering time.

Attached Thumbnails
# 23 28-04-2005 , 11:51 AM
Subscriber
MuCH IMPROVED!

Aim:Nshad BB Court
msn:nothinbutchains@hotmail.com
# 24 29-04-2005 , 02:18 AM
Yup! I like it!
I like it lots! Cute little guy with attitude! You can't go wrong ha ha!

<font size=3 face=arial color=blue>S U R F E R M C D </font><br>
<font size=2 face=arial color=blue>www.winteractiv.com</font>