Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 03-06-2006 , 09:11 AM
Subscriber
ready.........aim..............OBILTERATE!!!

A pint of example is worth a gallon of advice!!
# 17 03-06-2006 , 10:09 AM

really good

I really liked both of the mecs

I really hope to learn maya someday
# 18 03-06-2006 , 04:04 PM
Great work mac762 - it's looking very cool, though I must admit I kind of preferred the bright yellow mech over the camouflaged version.

# 19 04-06-2006 , 12:32 PM
Subscriber

hey look

hey mac thanks for the advice, i managed to get thisuser added image i know it aint the best ever or as good as your but it's my first go. I'm going to make better textures tonight. again thanks for the advise

Attached Thumbnails
# 20 16-06-2006 , 03:39 PM
Subscriber

Cool

Whee..

what a machine...looks great in blue, but i doubt that blue is a
good camo color for it...i mean could be worse if you put a flag on top of it with : " I am here, shoot me! " on it user added image

just pulling your leg ^^ - if that is your first texture it's really a good job. So go ahead, animate it.

cheers

Mac

..the Force is with me (sometimes)
# 21 16-06-2006 , 07:01 PM
Subscriber
i'm rigging him now , i have previously made my grandads car and am gonna have my mech blow it yup:attn:

# 22 21-06-2006 , 07:05 AM
Subscriber
nice models, to you both...

sorry I realise it is Mac's thread but I have to mention
something to Tadpole... bro I think you need to change your legs a little... not to sound like I'm picking on you dude but I think you need to make your legs thicker and not so knock-knee'ed if you can see what I mean...?
Otherwise it looks like a beast of a mech, well done.

Mac, freak bro, I'm impressed... nice Mech!!!
I am following the same model at the moment but I
also intend to make my own enhancements...
Like Jay said, centre of gravity doesn't feel right,
that is why I made my three "toes" more to the front.
I'll also make my mech "balance" to gravity...

Great work bro, I'd appreciate if you could keep an eye on my mech and give me some tips.
cheers dude
user added image

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep - Scott Adams"

<b>Toxic Bunny</b>
# 23 21-06-2006 , 09:35 AM
Subscriber

rig

Yep, this buddy is bit out of balance...or better totaly wonky. :headbang:

But that is not the only problem. While trying to rig it a new problem occured.
The legs are somehow not made to walk - just to stand somewhere. But even in still it looks like a tiny hit in the butt would make it fall over.
This thing would perfecty fit in the german army -- HighTech with no use.. user added image

To animate a maschine is difficult, no doubt.
If the mechanic is not working in the way that parts should not intersect while in motion or show streching, it's somehow impossiple to make it look believable.

I nailed the streching, but the position of the leg parts and the connection from main body to the legsection simply do not make sense. I can't position the legs, looking natural, without intersecting somewhere.

The animation looked like a drunken kangaroo tumbling around. :lmao:

So, I decided to back off from animation, stop wasting time and file it away under : NT ( nice try) :shakehead

Much better luck for your mech, tad !

@Bunny : I will keep an eye on it user added image

After all, it was a real good UV mapping and texture experience.

cheers

Mac

..the Force is with me (sometimes)

Last edited by mac762; 21-06-2006 at 09:40 AM.
# 24 22-06-2006 , 01:13 AM
Dude, don't give up - post some pictures of the problem and I am sure someone will give you a hand.

Unless of course you are sick of it and need to move on.

At the very least post a pic of your drunken kangaroo mech tumbling around. I need a laugh. user added image

# 25 22-06-2006 , 02:16 AM
Subscriber
An EXCELLENT job with the texturing and UV mapping! VERY neatly done! I couldn't help noticing you did a "metal surface" bump map...I've done it myself and I love the effect! Makes the mech look like it's made of nice hard steel (and not blinn plastic! :-) )

One cool thing about mechs is that they have animation potential other weapons (ie tanks & planes) do not! Add a couple of emitters to the guns and go to town blasting away!

Regards,

Lt. Jim
NYC

"Ad astra per aspera..."