Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 03-04-2003 , 06:56 PM
Me toouser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 17 03-04-2003 , 10:45 PM
right... never posted here, but because of this i feel that i have to...

Just because a PC is cheaper, doesn't automatically make it better.

just because maks (mak as in perverted park flasher) it doesnt mean they are betteruser added image friend spent £80 on a new cdrom for his mak and its no better than a £30 one for a PC.

If you look around, I'm pretty sure you can find a DP 1 ghz G4 that is just as fast as a 2.5 whatever P4 system for the "SAME" price as a P4 system.

and im pretty sure you cant.
G4, dual processor 1.25 gig $2k for the basic https://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...3.1.1.0?124,80

basic DEL 2.4 P4 $800 https://www.dell.com/us/en/dhs/produc...n_desktops.htm
basic options are not as good as the basic maks, but the p$ isnt based on anciant architecture and dont try and hit back with G4 now using DDR because the memory controller for DDR offers no real performance advantage over SD.
but even with the DEL maxed still better price than the mak.
though go one step further and scratch build a system and get a VERY good one (far superior to a mak) for about $1500, buying quaility parts.

Macs have gotten cheaper ya' know.

*coughs*

Although, if you wanted the top of the line Mac, topped out with 2 gigs of DDR ram, and DP 1.42 Ghz you're going to pay for it.

and you dont when buying the basic package??????? £80 for a basic cd-rom is taking the piss a bit? mine was £25! my cd-brurner is 52x write speed and it was cheaper than apples CDroms!

But, what some of you don't know is Mac OS X is so much easier and faster to set up a network, or just about anything in. You get stability. Everything works "Perfect" right out of the box. If you want Dual monitors, simple click of a button an you have Dual monitors. If you want to set up a network of computers, attach ethernet and click go, on the Apple menu. This includes your PC's too. No configuring required.

did you copy and paste from their newbie guides to marketing?
works perfect? i will tell that to the IT technition who has 30+ maks running OS 10... or not running... more sort of hobbling. he will be pleased to know that its how they are supposed to be. its "perfect" behaviour???? think ill stick to windows XP which does everything youve mentioned above without so much as limp.

And that is only going to get better with Apple's open sourced Rendevous software.

dont know what that is. will it make them work?

As far as performance in Maya on the Mac, check a couple of threads back to this post I made, Regarding Maya on the Mac and General spiffiness of OS X . And in case you miss the link about Alex Alvarez, Gnomon fame, talking about Maya on the Mac, click Word up

And here is another post I made about Apple's commitement to a newer processor PPC 970? .

Generaly it comes down to what you prefer. If you've found Maya on the Mac for $1400, hopefully you can look around and find a DP Powermac for the same price or cheaper. Here is a good place for refurbished units . IMO, since I'm a 3D hobbyist now, Speed will only become important when you want to render large movies.

your a 3D hobbyist? have you noted how professionals use PC's? so that why your still a hobbyist?
regardless of what you or alex say about maya on a mak theres no arguing that it runs faster on an equivilantly priced PC.

If I was planning on rendering like crazy (ie movie shorts, etc...)
I would go with a renderfarm, based on Linux, and purchase a linux version of Maya to render from.

yup.

I use Macs and Windows computers at work, and believe me I would much rather work in OS X than any version of Windows.

have you ***really*** tried using windows? i use maks, i use them a lot. even worked giving IT support for staff and students at a college before for PCs and maks. in my honest opinion, and putting my justified hatred for maks aside, PCs are better in every respect except their physical design. which is changing.
no # key easily accesable? great for web developers.
vulcan death grip for a screen grab?
trash your zip disk to eject it? (eject buttons work better, and far less frightening!)
one mouse button? (not nessacerily true now (PCs lead the way again)), hampers productivity. much easyer to right mouse click than it is to hold down a button and click.
extensions? its a mess in that folder! why not just have a "uninstall driver", "uninstall this/that".
i could go on for a while...

Especially when it comes to server work. OS X Server is quite simply the easiest way to configure any network, administrate it, and maintain it.

never been near OS 10 server, but if its anything like their desktop OS then id rather not use it thank you.

But as far as functionality while working, you probably won't notice much of a difference between PC's or Macs in the viewports. OS X will just look better because of Quartz and Aqua. user added image

i notice a huge differance between maks and PCs as far as functionality and performance goes.in general i have dreamweaver, photoshop, IE, netscape, notepad (about 5 times) opera, sometimes flash and fireworks all open at the same time on a PC, plus ICQ etc. and i dont have memory problems. it uses the pagefile rather well.
open photoshop on a mak, load up a 28 x 21 inch file at 400dpi and it tells me to close a program because it needs more memory. ermmm... it IS the only program i have running. its assigned all availible ram too. (256mb).

blar blar maks are not worth the agument over. it isnt 1994 any more and maks have fallen by the road in a pile of poo and far too many people are living under the misconception that they are still good.
deny it all you want. you know its the truth.

take care.

# 18 03-04-2003 , 11:03 PM
Bah, this argument is pointless. Just use whatever you want. In the end, it's the work that matters. Mac, PC, whatever. It's all just a bunch of stupid hardware. user added image

Now, go back to working in Maya! :p

Danny Ngan
Animator | Amaze Entertainment
my website | my blog | my job
# 19 03-04-2003 , 11:32 PM
Gottta admit...this is REALLY a great thread! hehe...

Seriosly..I've checked it twice a day since it started!

I love all of the opinions, usage facts, and general passion for your machines, and OS's guys!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 20 04-04-2003 , 12:15 AM

Originally posted by Kevin
i wouldnt touch a mac with a 12 foot pole, will unless of course I was bashing it with it.

I second that user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 21 04-04-2003 , 01:35 AM
Subscriber
aha......hmm......very interesting

When the only tool you use is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a nail.

Last edited by Axel; 04-04-2003 at 01:56 AM.
# 22 04-04-2003 , 03:30 AM
Subscriber
just a note, unless a DP 1Ghz is 3 or 4 times faster on instructions than intel.. the most that could be equal to is a like 2Ghz intel (amd) .. and what is up with 2,000 !!!!!!!!! I can get a 2Ghz intel full loaded for like 600 !!!!!! ;P

# 23 04-04-2003 , 09:18 AM
Subscriber
I am sorry, but my english is not good enough to understand your note; (what is 600 - the price?). Could you refrase your point?
Please excuse my maybe stupid question; but you seem to compare apples (fruits) with peaches.

When the only tool you use is a hammer, every problem begins to look like a nail.
# 24 04-04-2003 , 02:56 PM
Yep, it was the price.

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 25 04-04-2003 , 09:12 PM
Subscriber
yes.. price..

# 26 16-04-2003 , 08:54 PM
I have used a mac for about 11 years of my life (since i was about 4) and i will never ever switch to a PC. I hate windows. At school, working in 3ds Max (crappy program) on 98, the stupid machine will crash 5 or 6 times in an hour!!! What is even more amazing, we just turned on a computer, left it, and it crashed itself with the blue screen of death.

As for macs go, everyone complains about the price, BIG DEAL! I am guessing most of you spent a pretty penny getting a real copy of Maya, so whats an extra 3 grand (canadian) on a nice comp? Im sure you could probably get a nicer PC for that price, but what if i don't want a pc?

As for that guy flaming macs... it is just funny. Extention folder? Get into OS X buddy. That is Gone! The library is OS X is a lot better. I won't even start on rest of the post, cuz i gotta get that car finished for the comp here.

Forum_snowboarder33 = Mac user til death due us part

-- Why is it snowing rain --
AIM: SnowboarderCF
# 27 17-04-2003 , 12:00 AM
Ok, um... dude, you are 15 years old.

This topic is VERY old,... almost older than you.

It is also a VERY bitter battle that has split friends, and companies apart.

I'm just giving you a friendly warning, asking you to think about the WORLDWIDE effects of what you say will be.

We here at SM have recently lost a GREAT artist because of a similarly heated, and VERY public topic like this, and I'd hate to loose any moreuser added image

So, before you bash others publicly, without knowing what you are talking about technically, .... think to yourself...
How will these people think of me after I say this?
Will these people discount EVERY future word I say simply because I said something that is outside the norm?

Oh, and, hehe...
Welcome to SM by the way!

PS: How does a 15 year old get hold of 5 thousand dollars?

just wonderin....

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 28 17-04-2003 , 03:56 AM
There are other people saying things that were more pointed than what Forum_snowboarder33 said in this thread.

posted by koghk

"your a 3D hobbyist? have you noted how professionals use PC's? so that why your still a hobbyist?"

That was a deliberate "attack" at me to get me to feel inferior by using my Mac. Even though I've only been using the software for about 7 months, self taught, on my spare time, I could care less what he actually thinks since he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. But I think you see my point.

Carry on.

# 29 17-04-2003 , 04:16 PM
Yupuser added image Good point also wchamletuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 30 17-04-2003 , 05:47 PM
Hush people! Some great arguments here .. some great attacks also. Will close it if personal attacks prevail on the thread.

That said, Macs seem to work awfully in my University. I guess they are badly configured, or not very well mantained for. Truth is, even with my outdated PC, is still handles Photoshop better than those.

I thinked about going for one though, but I recently changed my mind after finding them too expensive for what they do. Prefer to save a little bit, and build me a good workstation system.

Two pennies ... without attacks. user added image