Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 23-04-2003 , 09:24 AM
thanks to all

# 17 23-04-2003 , 10:48 PM
Actually it's said a lot that XSI has the best workflow of them all, theres a post on Highend3d about it at https://www.highend3d.com/boards/show...0&fpart=1&vc=1
I've been working with both Maya PLE and XSI EXP for a while now alternating between the two, and there are things I love about each of them. Can't hurt to know both!

# 18 24-04-2003 , 03:06 AM
Subscriber
I hear that the watermark in XSI EXP is WAAY less obtrusive than Maya PLE's.

Elle, for doing modelling and stuff with programs like this it is almost a necessity to have a large monitor with a high resolution. A larger resolution and bigger screen mean that you can fit so much more on. I have a 19-inch screen running at 1280x960 and I find it's really good user added image . By the way, welcome to Simply Maya (the best site on the net user added image )

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 19 24-04-2003 , 03:11 AM
Subscriber

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP
# 20 24-04-2003 , 06:55 AM
Kevin

Originally posted by -<{ JB }>-
here's SoftImage's head-to-head comparison of Maya PLE and XSI EXP if you guys are interested.

lol - I see this months ago, not very biased at all is it user added image

makes them look a bit..well whats the word?

"childish"

# 21 24-04-2003 , 06:59 AM
Subscriber
yeah - they were my thoughts presicely!! user added image

# 22 16-06-2003 , 06:48 PM
it's easy choice. both programs are excellent. you can't missed user added image

# 23 19-06-2003 , 12:13 PM
Hi,

Interesting discussion so far!!!!!!!!!!!

I use both and Lightwave modeller but hey......

Here is a quote from a user (xsi biased). Interesting claim re users moving from Maya to xsi towards end of speel.........

Maya/XSI?????????

hi guys.. well this is a question that has been asked 1000s times..
and the true is there is no answer!

just some stuff I know from experience since I know both packages very well ( Maya and Xsi ) and work with both.
Both packages are very similar actually... 1 has this the other has that... a difference of little additional tools but the basic is the same.

Advantages of Maya:
1. PAINT EFFECTS!!!! its true and missing in Xsi.. I really miss this in xsi... but hoppefully its comming soon

2. Nurbs.. there are nurbs in xsi but they 100% suck..

3. you get right now much more maya jobs.. anywhere

4. the price.. maya unlimited is still 1000$ under xsi, and you can get maya already at 1999$

5. many learning footage.. but does it really help??

6. Rigid Body dynamics.. but its commin with xsi 3.5

Advantages of Xsi:
1. almost every ps2 game development company are switching to xsi! read it yourself at www.softimage.com

2. Intergrated Mental Ray... compared to the maya renderer its like comparing a ferrari to a turtle.. ( yes there is mental ray for maya but it is still far away from xsi´s version in quality and speed ) since mental images have a contract with avid since back in the time jesus was swinging around..

3. Xsi Poly tools.. my opinion unbeatable.. you already see the power when you start selecting polys... ( yes maya nurbs tools are better.. but what do you prefer nurbs of polys )

4. softimage has a client support like no other company..

5. Animation.. you asked for motionbuilder import...
I ask my self.. are you nuts?????
have you ever seen the animation mixer in action??
I dont know if it can be easier to save animations and resuse them by drag and drop???? I think this is xsi´s strongest advantage

6. The Rendertree.. I have never seen anything like this.. the fastest way to build the most impressive shaders on earth.. play one day with it and you got it.. its idiot proof..

thats just to list some the famous advantages of both packages..

but actually to say the true... both packages are masters of its own. It actually doesnt matter wich one you start learning.. everyone starts learning the 2nd package one day cause there is that evil little guy in your head knocking.. but what if xsi is better then maya or viceversa?

but its not the package its the user... and Id say yeah you can learn the basic on both packages pretty quick.. but if you need real advanced tutorials.. forget it..
there wont be on both ever...
its all up to you.. practice... learn, experiment until you cry.. build it 20 times again and again.. if you think you will find a tutorial
" YO MAN LEARN TO MODEL,TEXTURE,RIG, ANIMATE GOLLUM AND RENDER HIM PHOTOREALISTIC " and all step by step... I say dream on..

I prefer xsi and I know some 3dpackages pretty good like: maya,max,xsi,softimage3d,mirai and a little bit of houdini
and I got my master in xsi and maya!

I think xsi is just way more nice to work with from the interface, the rendering and the workflow is 100% faster then maya when you get used to it.. you find everything by 1 click.. its all there

but
I still miss some basic stuff like nurbs.. and SPECIALLY paint effects.. but its just a question of time..
maya exist way longer then xsi... but xsi is growing in lightspeed
there are a ton of maya users switching to xsi day by day.. I havent seen one switching from xsi to maya.. why is that? (talking about professionals )

but its up to you..
I would say spend 2 or 3 months with maya learning it first..
then spend 2 weeks with xsi..
then answer me wich package you choose..

the end

Hope this was at all useful.

re Jim

Mayan elder......only in years.....
# 24 20-06-2003 , 06:08 AM

you can choose either

You can choose either of the two, both can do basically any the other can do, if you do choose one stick to it and learn every aspect of the product.

For me personally I've chosen Maya because I love movies with special effects and most of them now are being made with maya and tons of forums are emerging for maya now.