Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 31 27-02-2012 , 07:55 PM
Subscriber

but could fragmenting slow a PC this much?

No.

If I were you I'd just bring the computer to one of those small computer stores and have them look at it, I'm afraid it's hardware related or combination of hardware and software, or BIOS problems.. god knows what.. but it might take weeks to find out what's wrong with it exactly, unless you're a pro.

# 32 28-02-2012 , 03:51 AM
Acid44
Can't afford shop prices at the moment, I'll probably just end up seeing what I can backup and formatting soon to see if it helps, if not I'm planning to build a new PC once I'm back to work anyways

EDIT: I've just had a look through my C drive and realised the sheer amount of programs/game engines/etc. that I've installed and only used once, there must be at least 100 different things I can get rid of. Going mad uninstalling things now, this should help :p

E2: Cleared up about 90 gigs on the C drive, and another 75 on the backup drive. Man that was a lot of crap, and I think there's still more to delete in game saves/app settings and such >_<

3: Finished cleaning and cleaned up the registry and temp/cache files aswell. Restart went well this time, about 90 seconds to log on screen, another 30 or so to load up my start-up programs. Things are still a bit choppy it seems, but it seems to be better than before, at least. Gonna go through all the system settings and see if I can speed it up a bit more, I'm sure there's other cluttery crap holding me down

Last edited by Acid44; 28-02-2012 at 05:40 AM.
# 33 28-02-2012 , 07:12 AM
Subscriber
Dam 12 hours, you must hold the record for longest defragment ever haha!

Have you checked what programs are running whilst on starting up? I have found this has saved a few people who have choppy start ups...

- Go to System Configuration (msconfig in search)
- Choose Startup Tab
- Usually i have everything unticked/disabled except for Microsoft Security Client and Windows OS.

Give that a try, if you want.

# 34 28-02-2012 , 07:23 AM
Technical Director
Seriously, give SystemMechanic a go. I've repaired MANY machines with it, in much poorer shape than yours. It can't hurt.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 35 28-02-2012 , 07:29 AM
Acid44
Everytime I install something I check that, I have Desktop Coral, Rainmeter, Logitech Gaming Software, Saitek Profiler and, AVG on startup. Which are all pretty necessary/not at all taxing.

And I've had wayyyyy longer defrag times than that, with my old Dell Optiplex GX520 I once had to leave it for 2.5 days to defrag, shortly after the hard drive died :p

@ND - Posted while I was posting. Will do, forgot about that. Will the free version be ok, or is it missing a bunch of shite?

# 36 28-02-2012 , 08:00 AM
Technical Director

@ND - Posted while I was posting. Will do, forgot about that. Will the free version be ok, or is it missing a bunch of shite?

Nope, it's not missing a thing. You don't need the pro version though. The standard trial will be fine.

# 37 28-02-2012 , 08:27 AM
Acid44
Coolio, gonna grab it now then

# 38 28-02-2012 , 09:41 AM
Acid44
That seems to have done the job. Mostly, anyways. Was running at it's normal speed again, but then the system completely froze and I had to hit the reset button while playing Garry's Mod, but that could probably be blamed on bad coding, because that game has a lot of it and I was using user-created crap

EDIT: Tried a couple different games and had a quick mess about in Maya, seems much better now, can't say I like the program, but it seems to have done a decent job ;D Thanks man

Last edited by Acid44; 28-02-2012 at 09:59 AM.
# 39 28-02-2012 , 01:48 PM
Technical Director
No problem mate. Glad it helped you out user added image

-John

# 40 06-03-2012 , 04:30 AM
I have a laptop and from the other thread you know I am building a dedicated Maya computer. I decided to install System Mechanic on the laptop to see if it is something i want to install on the Maya Computer.

So when I defrag using the defrag in the windows control panel on the laptop, System Mechanic wants me to defrag or realign the hard disks files. Both are time consuming.

Question.
Do you ever defrag with the control panel or do you just use System Mechanic?

I only ask cause I am considering using it on the Maya computer.

# 41 06-03-2012 , 04:40 AM
Technical Director
I've used both, but I found the one in System Mechanic to be much slower. Whether it's doing something more advanced than the vanilla-windows one, I'm not sure.

Defragmenting isn't that big of a deal when it comes to working with Maya, as most of the data it works with is loaded into RAM. I personally wouldn't defrag more than once a month.

If you're working with some Linux file systems, or a Mac, fragmentation isn't a problem.

# 42 06-03-2012 , 04:44 AM
Lifetime Member
ND...question if I may? does the System Mechanic..give a circumvent on a complete reformat. My lappy is 2 years old...BUT some of the programs I have on here are up to 7 years old and either unsupported or dead...I probably dont have the original discs anymore anyway (sure my missus would have thrown my junk out). Most of my stuff are Survey packages..so they are hard to get or dont exist but are still very useful...any tips??

cheers bullet

sorry for the hijack acid old boy....

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 43 06-03-2012 , 04:52 AM
Technical Director
Hey Anthony,

Nothing will ever be as good as a full format, but you can certainly get close. I haven't formatted my other PC for about 5 years now, and it's still running just fine. If you have data that you can't lose, always create an image of your computer. That way you have a way to go back if something catastrophic happens. However, System Mechanic is the best tool that I've found for keeping machines alive. I once took a computer that took ~25 minutes to start, down to about 4 with it.

Again, create an image, then give it a go. user added image

# 44 06-03-2012 , 05:46 AM
I unpined the windows defrag from my taskbar. I am sold on System Mechanics.

# 45 06-03-2012 , 06:15 AM
I would just warn that you should make a complete backup of you system before using iolo system mechanic or any other similar program. Register bloat is one of the most common causes of slow running systems. These programs attempt to clean the registry and can at time be overly aggressive at it which can cause applications to stop running or run poorly.

It's a good last resort but apply with caution.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675