Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 46 27-04-2003 , 12:28 PM
lol I should call them "Simply Mayolas" (Shameless site plugging!!!) user added image

Final anim will be a week or so away I should think. I'm pretty much finished modelling everything just need to play with some light linking stuff and then double check the story etc and then render it out..... i think! user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 47 27-04-2003 , 06:51 PM
Ok here is a ROUGH cut of some of the final animation. There are glaring problems I know but it's still WIP obviously so those dont matter too much:

Antialiasing was turned down on most shots for quicker times
the curtains are missing cause my soft bodies went nuts for no reason!
Motion blur is turned off on most shots too (Cause I deleted 800 frames worth of animation in one fell swoop!! user added image )

It's pretty low res as well guys just so that I can get the frames out quickly

Get it here:
https://www.alanwoods.co.uk/files/testCut.avi

Alan

IMDB
# 48 27-04-2003 , 08:34 PM
Subscriber
Hey pure, i will watch the animation next.. but what i wanted to say first is that its coming along great! The crayons on the floor and the paper is astounding, fits the scene well! As for the room itself... i have NEVER known a kid with a room that large! And if he does have a room that large, then its going to need some more things in it (dartboard, bowling alley, football stadium)... hehe, j/k.. but it does loook like you could fit that stuff in there user added image. More like a toybox, dresser, one of those blowup punchme dolls etc. Well, keep it up user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 49 27-04-2003 , 08:43 PM
yeah i know, that's something that is bugging me. But the only thing is that the room has to be large so that the planes can fly around. I want to add more stuff but I think that once the planes are in there then it will distract the peeps from the empty room. I will model some more if I get time (Maybe after the project is handed in)

thanks for the crit M

Alan

IMDB
# 50 27-04-2003 , 08:44 PM
Subscriber
Ah, i just watched the animation and i love the crayon runway! Hahaha. One thing though, those planes are defying gravity! Are we in space! Lol, well its a great animation, just the only time a plane moves that slow is when its going vertical. Maybe work on making that part of the animation more long, but also faster.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 51 27-04-2003 , 08:48 PM
ok the whole speed thing is a major issue for me. The thing is I dont really control the speed very much cause it's all being generated from my flocking system (where the speed is fine). To bring this into maya I have to divide all of the speed etc by 4 just to keep it within the bounds of the room. Thus they run 4 times slower than they do in the flocking system. I do have a workaround I think but it could mean wholesale changes to the script and camera angles etc etc.

Dunno what i'm gonna do about it! user added image

Alan

IMDB
# 52 29-04-2003 , 02:48 PM

IMDB
# 53 29-04-2003 , 03:19 PM
I have been watching this thread in the "shadows" sorry I haven't posted anything yet, i like the scene, and the Toystoryish sense, can't wait to see the animation!!
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 54 29-04-2003 , 07:32 PM
thanks brian, it's becoming a real labour of love / hate!!! weird things are happening with some renders (it's renedering black frames but doing the calculations as if it's working out my particles i.e taking forever!!!) strange indeed!

Anways here's an action shot of the main stage of the animation

It looks a bit patriotic I'm thinking!! lol

IMDB
# 55 29-04-2003 , 10:22 PM

arghhhhhh

someone help me out here!

take a look at this video and you will see that it flickers and the particles stop for no damn reason. Today's the first time I've seen this and I cant explain it, please tell me someone else can!!!

https://www.alanwoods.co.uk/files/crappy.avi

user added image

Alan

IMDB
# 56 29-04-2003 , 10:57 PM
Simply Maya OG
Yea, it flickers man.

- Hybrid
# 57 29-04-2003 , 10:58 PM
yeah thanks....... user added image lol any ideas how to fix it?

IMDB
# 58 30-04-2003 , 03:36 AM
here's the new smoke, it's too bright cause not all the geometry was there when I rendered it (to save time) looks nice I'm gonna try and get all the smoke to look like the light blue one on the left I think it looks the nicest.

IMDB
# 59 30-04-2003 , 03:37 AM

IMDB
# 60 30-04-2003 , 05:45 AM
hey, looks cool!!

but i would increase the lifetime of your particles! and/or let them spread out...