Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 61 10-01-2012 , 05:56 AM
PixalZA: That's some great information and very much appreciated. I'll try and implement those suggestions within the next day or two. I can't wait! user added image

Chavfister: Thank you so much for the help! I think unreal uses c# or C++ but I think udk might only give you access to java stuff but not sure. I'll look into. I will probably do very little coding though, if any. I have two friends who are IT professionals and extremely good with java and c#, C++, and some others. I'm not sure how willing they will be to do any coding for this ds9 project though since it's just a temporary test/learning project. Since it's ds9, it's not really ours if you know what I mean.

SilverFeather: That's totally awesome of you for testing all that stuff out. I'm axious to play around with it now but only for fun. I think I might have had a once in a lifetime game idea that could potentially crank up the gaming industry up a notch but it doesn't have any special gravity requirements. But again, I still appreciate all the help and effort you've put into this. I'm glad it's for your own benefit toouser added image.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 62 10-01-2012 , 10:45 AM
Noober than noob

PixalZA: That's some great information and very much appreciated. I'll try and implement those suggestions within the next day or two. I can't wait! user added image

Chavfister: Thank you so much for the help! I think unreal uses c# or C++ but I think udk might only give you access to java stuff but not sure. I'll look into. I will probably do very little coding though, if any. I have two friends who are IT professionals and extremely good with java and c#, C++, and some others. I'm not sure how willing they will be to do any coding for this ds9 project though since it's just a temporary test/learning project. Since it's ds9, it's not really ours if you know what I mean.

SilverFeather: That's totally awesome of you for testing all that stuff out. I'm axious to play around with it now but only for fun. I think I might have had a once in a lifetime game idea that could potentially crank up the gaming industry up a notch but it doesn't have any special gravity requirements. But again, I still appreciate all the help and effort you've put into this. I'm glad it's for your own benefit toouser added image.

Well, the rubik-cube planet idea came to me after watching Cube2 Hypercube. Next chapter I'm writing will focus on that so I need to figure out if I can make a room with 2 areas of gravity.
The good news is that I can. Gravity on half of it pulls towards the center and will allow stuff to sit on the floor (though with a bit of dragging towards the other side of the room) while on the other half the gravity pushes from the center, thus objects can get sent towards the top of the room.
Can also obtain zero gravity effect with two generators. Said rubik-cube has 6 gravity generators so it would be possible. Too bad that's harder to do on Maya, but I could sketch the way the forces act so that I can make it work right.

# 63 23-01-2012 , 06:30 PM
My son just got a game called Phineas and Ferb for the wii. There's a level in the game that does the unusual gravity thing. You're inside some kind of machine but your walking on the outer walls. Your head is toward the center of the screen and your feet are toward the outer part of your screen, no matter where you're at. You can jump and run but you're always facing the right way. I googled to see what engine they used but I didn't find anything. I didn't look very hard though.

Anyway, if anyone has been expecting updates on this project, my computer's fried and will be buying a new computer, just not sure when. Fortunately, I keep a copy of all my files on an external hard drive so I havn't lost anything other than my computer. This time I'll be getting a super nice computer that can handle big scenes.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 64 30-01-2012 , 04:59 PM
Got my new computer ordered and should receive it in about a month.

Exceed Expectations!
# 65 30-01-2012 , 06:35 PM
Acid44

# 66 30-01-2012 , 08:52 PM
Noober than noob

My son just got a game called Phineas and Ferb for the wii. There's a level in the game that does the unusual gravity thing. You're inside some kind of machine but your walking on the outer walls. Your head is toward the center of the screen and your feet are toward the outer part of your screen, no matter where you're at. You can jump and run but you're always facing the right way. I googled to see what engine they used but I didn't find anything. I didn't look very hard though.

Anyway, if anyone has been expecting updates on this project, my computer's fried and will be buying a new computer, just not sure when. Fortunately, I keep a copy of all my files on an external hard drive so I havn't lost anything other than my computer. This time I'll be getting a super nice computer that can handle big scenes.

Hmm, kind of like the counterpart of what I'm doing with the cube. And with further experiments... I'd say that if I'd animate this, I'll get sick X_X The way one can walk according to what room they enter is kind of causing dizziness X))) So far I have plain rooms in it, using them as reference for the chapter so no need to decorate / add stuff for now. It's the mechanism of a giant rubik cube planet that I'm after and it seems interesting.

I wonder just how big can a scene be on my pc. I have a solar system + few other stars around it and it says that the scene is pretty huge. I have to be careful and keep the number of polys on each planet / asteroid etc low or else I either crash the batch render or the whole scene. I'll get back to that project but for now I'm working on my human char model.

# 67 09-02-2012 , 02:51 PM
Got my new computer earlier than expected.

• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit]
• Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3960X six-core processor [3.3GHz, Shared 15MB Cache]
• 12GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [4 DIMMs]
• 1.5GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 [2 DVI, HDMI, VGA adpt]

I'm currently shopping for a decent tablet now. Texture painting with a mouse is just...annoying.

Exceed Expectations!
# 68 09-02-2012 , 06:12 PM
Lifetime Member
That is some serious power you have now. I'm jealous lol

# 69 09-02-2012 , 08:46 PM
Nah, don't be jealous. I've learned that there's a very nice advantage to not having a powerful machine. The advantage is having to really focus on keeping your poly counts down. That alone made me always think about my geometry and strive to make it as efficient and clean as possible. You can't do as much but at least there's a bright side user added image.

Exceed Expectations!
# 70 23-02-2012 , 05:40 PM

No more updates planned

I don't plan on adding any more updates to this thread. I've done more modeling and basic texturing (nothing fancy) and added music and sound effects, kismet animation, etc. Although it's pretty fun to play now, I don't think I can legally post any further videos without infringing on copyrights.

Also, I've been learning tons of do's and don'ts. Alot of how my ds9 level is made is mostly with don'ts. It's not very modular at all. Everything is pretty much it's own unique static mesh. Even the walls are very LARGE sections. So it's the opposite of efficient. There's no render problems but only because the total tris count is extremly low, less than 30k right now I think. It's also not built using the grid so lining things up would not be quick. In otherwords, if somone else had to modify the map, they'd probably end up throwing the whole computer out the window.

I'll probably play around with creating some simple levels (very simple) for developing good habits. but until me and my friends come up with something we want to commit to, you'll probably not see any threads from me. Though I will continue to enjoy everyone elses artwork.

Exceed Expectations!