Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 61 14-06-2003 , 06:00 PM

Originally posted by NitroLiq
In general, Macs have always been designed more for Artists/Musician types

Can anyone tell me what current Mac's are superiour to PC's at.

I'm know Macs were originally for artists/designers and PC more for programmers but know it seems the PC is used in all industeries.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 62 14-06-2003 , 08:13 PM
Subscriber
Rage m8 first I don't know squat about Shake but I can understand you and NitroLiq getting the hump with Apple when they drop the PC version, this I cannot understand surely they would make more money supporting the PC as well?

Oh, and btw, it's not the fault of SM that most users here are pc Maya users.

Hey man I got no problem with that I was just trying to defend Apple a bit... user added image

Another little Apple wonder is QuickTime

Care to PROVE where exactly you got your information on that?

Personal experience m8. I will stand by what I said about Quicktime - although I do use the Pro version user added image . I can use it to add filters, resize movies, export movies using a plethora of codecs, cut and paste movies into other movies or frames into photoshop, it works much better in Director than *.AVI. I can open a movie and it will tell me the frame rate, codec, tracks used, data rate etc. If Windows Media Player can do that then please tell me which version and how cos I have never found a way. user added image . And yes I agree M$ will make Media player for the Mac not so good and Apple will probably make Quicktime not so good on the PC. I know I have them both on both platforms!

Now for operating Systems. Windows ME, 98 and 95 is Mickey Mouse and I would rather use Mac 0S 9 any day

--LOL! what the hell are people doing trying to run Maya on

No, no, no, NOOOOO! I wasn't saying that, what I was saying is that Maya needs a relaible OS to run on hence OSX or Win2K or XP. That's my point these are GOOD, SOLID operating systems. The bit about Electric Image is that it was used under OS 8/9 with results and is a Professional 3D package that produces serious results i.e. a Mac can do it and is used for it.

2 Pentium® 4 2.4G Xeon procs with 512K Built-in Level 2 Cache
$600.00
Nvidia Quadro 4 750XGL, 128MB DDR
VID-PNY-QD4-750
$489.99

Wow! The trouble here is that your shop is in the US... Those prices convert to stirling here so it doesn't come out so cheap for us Brits. I have only seen those Quadro cards here starting from £800 or so the cost of a PC or a Mac... user added image the same goes for the Xeon processors. The prices I was quoting are from reading magazine reviewing PC workstations. Most people wouldn't want to build there own systems - IT CAN BE A REAL HEADACHE I KNOW I HAVE DONE IT.

Belive me I would be buying that sort of configuration right now if they were the prices here. This leads me to the discussion about OSX anyway. I do like it and prefer it to Windows, and Macs are slower than PC's not so much Apple's fault more Motorola. I personally would love to see Macs using Xeon, Athlon and Pentium (?) Processors and OSX running on them WOW now that would be COOL!!!

Anyway, perhaps I was having a go at PCs but then everyone else here was having a go at Macs so raspppppppppp!!!!!!

Love and kisses to all Maya users whatever platform you use just let your imaginations flow whatever box you sit in front of ? GazzaAppleMacTosh user added image
xxx

P.S. I would not like Apple to get its mits on A/W it would spoil it. Read the article in the July issue of 3D World by Craig Zerouni (pg 12) very interesting!

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com

Last edited by gazzamataz; 16-06-2003 at 08:22 AM.
# 63 14-06-2003 , 09:21 PM

Originally posted by gazzamataz
Wow! The trouble here is that your shop is in the US... Those prices convert to stirling here so it doesn't come out so cheap for us Brits. I have only seen those Quadro cards here starting from £800 or so the cost of a PC or a Mac... user added image the same goes for the Xeon processors. The prices I was quoting are from reading magazine reviewing PC workstations. Most people wouldn't want to build there own systems - IT CAN BE A REAL HEADACHE I KNOW I HAVE DONE IT.

£800, tell me where you saw that.
I found: PNY Quadro 4 750 XGL - £315.00

An of the shelf system from MESH (just like those in the magz)
- AMD Athlon XP 3000+
- ASUS A7N8X nFORCE2 Deluxe Motherboard
- 1024Mb 333MHz High Performance PC2700 DDR
- 200Gb Ultra Fast with 8Mb Cache (7200rpm)
- 19'' NEC TFT Flat Panel Monitor
- 128Mb ATI Radeon 9700 Pro - TV Out + DVI
- SONY Multi-Burner (R/W all standard formats)
- CD Re-Writable (48x16x48)
- Soundblaster Audigy 2 Platinum + Firewire
- Creative Labs Inspire 6700 - 6.1 Surround
- Integrated 10/100 Ethernet Adaptor
- 56Kbps voice/fax/data modem
- MESH 3 Year Warranty
- MS WorksSuite 2003 + Pinnacle Studio 8 SE
- Surge Protector + DVI Cable

£1779 [ex vat] £2113.83 [inc vat]

So, it may not have a Quadro card, but it's dam cheap!

I agree that the Xeons are expentive, but only when compared to AMD's, which i prefer.
e.g.
- Pentium Xeon 2.8 512Kb - £399.00
- Athlon XP 2500+ 512Kb - £76.50

# 64 15-06-2003 , 12:16 AM
Subscriber
Oh god I am starting to feel like Hitler I wish I'd never started this thread and everybody hates me...

I admit I don't really read many pure PC mags only hybrid 3D World and Digit cos we get them at work. As far as the Quadro card is concern I wanna get one for work at that price I am reading the wrong mags!!! Perhaps I am looking at the wrong quadro ads but the cheapest I saw was £800 or so - BUGGERNUTS!!!

z1mmnd14
In reply to your post I would say this that Mac are better at DTP and video although not neccessarily faster. They simply have better tools for the job. Font management, colour matching, compatibility, Quicktime, Final Cut Pro etc... I would elaborate but after the slating I am getting at the moment I have hit the bottle and cannot think straight...user added image

Gazzamataz
# 65 15-06-2003 , 02:08 AM
Trust me Gaz, NOBODY hates youuser added image

You have been my best adversary yet!

You make a GREAT case for the Mac.

Keep it up buddyuser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 66 15-06-2003 , 08:54 AM
Kevin
LOL this is an amusing thread... (im on your side ragey) user added image

# 67 16-06-2003 , 11:54 AM
Subscriber
Oh shucks! I've gone all APPLE RED now user added image He, he, he!

I am still wondering whether Apple are gonna adopt Athlon or Pentium Chips. I know that there will be the new 970 in July (in the States) but I hear that they will only be 1.8ghz... new architecture though is it 64 or 128 bit? Will that really make a difference? Looking forward to that anyway.

Still wish there were more GPU available for the Mac though, it's only a case of BIOS and drivers and the existing cards could be used on the Mac user added image

(Last Apple plug) One thing I know for definate that DOES work better on the Mac than PC and that is dual monitor support! If I run Maya on my Mac wiv two monitors I can drag ANY window over to either monitor no problem. If I do that on me PC even using TwinView or whatever it is, the Hypershade window or Hypergraph goes all 'orrible. Don't know if newer cards fix this, I think it is an OS thing - so one point for Mac Maya! HURRAY!!!

Gazzamataz
# 68 24-06-2003 , 08:19 AM
i am with gazzamataz all the way - i always get flack from all the pc users... but i don't really care. Ill use my mac, and they can use their pc. Besides.. does it matter what platform u are using, if you can produce crazy 3d work? Is there some watermark on every 3d image that says what platform you use? I didn't think so.......

-- Why is it snowing rain --
AIM: SnowboarderCF
# 69 25-06-2003 , 02:32 AM

Originally posted by gazzamataz
the Hypershade window or Hypergraph goes all 'orrible. Don't know if newer cards fix this, I think it is an OS thing - so one point for Mac Maya! HURRAY!!!

I've accually never used Maya on a Mac or used Mac dule monitors but i have used Maya on dule PC monitor, and everything was fine. I didn't accually know there was a problem. I dont know the specs of machines but they seem pretty fast. I know it Win 2000 Pro though user added image

# 70 03-07-2003 , 05:22 AM

this thread is great

Maya isn't that greater software for starters.
PC's running windows? For real work? What a joke.
Linux is the only saving grace for PC's.
What kind of serious artist would do 3d or any kind of real work on windows?
OSX is far more likely, more so now with the G5, to dominate the FX industry.

Windows is for pimplefaced hobbyists.

sam
fx/td
weta digital.

# 71 03-07-2003 , 05:23 AM
The Maya Mountain
Maya-Sense... tingling!

user added image

Keep it civil, guys.

# 72 03-07-2003 , 05:25 AM

Re: this thread is great

Originally posted by someboy
Maya isn't that greater software for starters.
PC's running windows? For real work? What a joke.
Linux is the only saving grace for PC's.
What kind of serious artist would do 3d or any kind of real work on windows?
OSX is far more likely, more so now with the G5, to dominate the FX industry.

Windows is for pimplefaced hobbyists.

sam
fx/td
weta digital.

Do not fall for this flamebait, people.
We´ll just generate more fighting among us.
Ignore this post.

# 73 03-07-2003 , 05:37 AM

Re: Re: this thread is great

Originally posted by adldesigner
Do not fall for this flamebait, people.
We´ll just generate more fighting among us.
Ignore this post.

flamebait?
This is the general concensus among professionals in this industry.

Can anyone list a medium/large FX facility that uses windows?
I didn't think so.

go back to using using your cracked versions of maya on your half baked os.
half baked meaning not UNIX.

# 74 03-07-2003 , 05:42 AM
Just thought it was somewhat unprofessional the fact that someone with only two posts under his belt would actually go for flamebait.

Please refrain from making such posts.

# 75 03-07-2003 , 05:50 AM
The Maya Mountain
I've yet to find a studio that doesn't use Windows.

*shrug*

Who cares? If you want to use Macs, use 'em. If you want to use Unix/Linux/whateverux... do it.

It doesn't really matter.