Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 76 06-05-2003 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber
Okay well i think the new lighting looks better. Can you brighten up the sun a little more?

There seems to be some empty space in the animation, any chance of filling that in with something? Like the long shot wit hthe perfectly still camera while the plane takes off.

I also don't think you should track those few shots onto the group of planes, as it will look more like a camera if you animate the camera movements by hand. Although the few when you're riding on the plane are cool! The shot on the Landing gear, is sweet, but I would have a BIT higher and looking more down at the wood:

If you want to keep that beautiful bump map intense, then just make sure you don't show any shots where the camera is looking ALONG the floor. Try to keep them all looking at it(planar to).

Basically the less planar you are to a bump map, the uglier and more obvious they become.

please ignore any of these things you are working on/have already fixed. Just trying to help you fix them.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2

Last edited by Vectorman; 06-05-2003 at 09:18 PM.
# 77 06-05-2003 , 11:19 PM
that's really good advice there Vectorman, I know what you mean about bump maps It's really hard to get them right and looking nice especially up close!

I'm still working on the camera shots, I've not decided 100% on what's staying and what's going at the mo. The new lighting is being a complete pain in the a***. I just cant seem to get it right but I will work on it more tomrrow.

Thanks for a great crit

ALan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 78 07-05-2003 , 07:56 AM
about your lighting, I would say try to make it less homogenous. the 'pure white' lighting sticks a non-professional look to the scene and creates no mood or ambient. try for example to put colored lights here and there, for example blue lights near the walls and the bed, for a GI effect (I'd say the whole ambient of the scene could be blueish, given the dominance of blue walls).
the sun light should also be a lot more intense; when you film indoors, sun light (from a window or other) completely washes out the surfaces it lits, making them 100% white with saturated edges and glow. that could also be a source of yellow light (since the wood reflects it) for fake GI. and nothing prevents you from also putting lights or other colors, just to make it look nice user added image
about the planes, they are neat user added image
some camera motions are not smooth enough (stopping abruptly in a linear tangent), but the shots from the tail are GREAT! they are shaky and all like a real attached camera. nice work! user added image

Inti
# 79 07-05-2003 , 03:44 PM
thanks Inti, that's some really great advice! I wasnt really using a GI script it was a script that I was taught that creates a ring of point lights with very very low intensity and they only cast shadows. Then you use an area light who's intensity is controlled by the shadowFraction attribute of the point lights. It works for some stuff but I think it made that pic I posted look muddy and unclear. So I have whacked up the sunlight a bit, not so I overdo it though and I am adding some major blue lights all over the shop which are gonna cast some nice shadows for me. There's problems behind the table but I'm working on it now.

user added image

Great crit though really made your points clear.

Alan

IMDB
# 80 07-05-2003 , 05:27 PM
that looks great!! Big improvement!
B

Please check
My (old) website!
# 81 07-05-2003 , 07:52 PM

GREAT

looks great man keep up the good work. cant wait to se the final animation.

# 82 08-05-2003 , 04:45 AM
gettin better each time, go on!
(beware of multiple shadows though) user added image

Inti
# 83 08-05-2003 , 05:48 PM
Looks really great too, what kind render did you use? I mean did you use GI_Joe?user added image

# 84 08-05-2003 , 06:01 PM
no there's no GI on it. The lighting rig is:

12 point lights on the ceiling intensity 0.075 each
1 area light on the floor pointing up intensity 0.2
3/4 point lights for picking out details such as under the table etc
1 directional light for the sun light

Only the main point lights and the directional lightcast shadows. It's causing a few probs. But I'm planning to fix them tonite.

GI wouldnt work in this case (well it might) but the problem is that GI is great for showing off individual models but you cant really get any feeling from it (which is what it's supposed to do i guess) it just gives soft shadows. I need lighting that's a little more dramatic that. user added image

Alan

IMDB
# 85 09-05-2003 , 03:33 AM
kewl...what is the render most of u guys use ...the white looking one...and how do i create it / find it?

# 86 09-05-2003 , 03:42 AM
those first renders were done with a GI script (not GI_Joe) look at (arghhh I cant remember the name of the site) pixho that's it!! go there and download the script and that will set up your lights for you which will achieve that effect.

IMDB
# 87 09-05-2003 , 02:35 PM
Subscriber
Hey man, that's awsome stuff - getting better and better!

Yet there are two things bugging me: some of the sudden turns and the speed issue. I think it's way to slow as it is.

But for all the rest: all thumbs up!

Renderizer

Subdivide and conquer!

Free your mind, and your ass will follow!
# 88 09-05-2003 , 02:47 PM
thanks, I know about the speed, but I think if I mess with those keyframes anymore it's all gonna go T**ts up!! I'm using cuts to get rid of the sudden turns as best as possible.

I'm just about to upload a new avi with a lot of the new renders (looking 100x better!! user added image) so stayed tuned user added image

Alan

IMDB
# 89 10-05-2003 , 04:31 PM
bit of a problem:

check the avi out. Weird flickering shadows and the like and some banding across the model..... not sure about this mite have to tweak a bit of the lighting for this shot

https://www.alanwoods.co.uk/files/landing.avi

IMDB
# 90 11-05-2003 , 01:39 AM
do you know exactly which GI script it is that you use?