Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 30-05-2004 , 07:02 AM

Shrek 2, Video compositing?

Hey, just saw Shrek 2 (awesome movie) and I was curious if anyone else noticed a few shots where it seemed like they chose to use video compositing for the human characters.

The few times it seemed like it to me was :

long shot of the window where shrek is hitting the window while watching fiona

over the shoulder shot during the same scene... the hand looks a little too real (maybe its just awesome texturing)

<! SPOILER !>

When pinnochio turns into a real boy, the "realboy" version looks like a REAL boy!

The only reason I am considering this as a possibility is because if _I_ was running a big studio like dreamworks, and I looked at the amount of time it takes to model and texture a character for a half second shot, I might ask the question: "Could we just get a short video of a real person, and add some filters to make it look like a CGI character?" Seems like a valid solution for a couple quick shots.

Any comments?

"On the other hand... the early worm gets eaten."
# 2 30-05-2004 , 09:53 AM
havent seen it yet(not available in spain until july) but: well you "could" use filters (and a lot of skillfull man/hours) to make someone look "cgish"... from afar... but it would waste more time and effort than just render the actual frames when you have the models alrready done...

Last edited by dragonfx; 30-05-2004 at 09:59 AM.