Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 13-01-2005 , 06:06 PM

attaching surfaces

I need your help

this is my first attempt modeling a head, so I dont know if asking the following is a heck. -> with nurbsPatchModeling I ended up attaching 3 surfaces... and now comes the problem - I built the surfaces in a so damn stupid way, I simply can´t connect them without either loosing the natural shape of the neck or rebuilding the whole thing.

maybe theres a quick way connecting 3 surfaces at once or something like that?

Attached Images
# 2 13-01-2005 , 11:18 PM
Ok, I put up another - for my understanding - clean curvemade head. thing now is, I need to cut the all those single profiles in exact that point where 2 profiles meet. Otherwise birailing doesn´t work - but don´t know how to automatically split a curve at such a crosspoint...

maybe some1 likes to give me some kind of advice. I really give it up at this point right now user added image

Attached Images
# 3 14-01-2005 , 06:15 PM
Subscriber
right click and choose curve point, then select a curve point on the curve by mmd [middle mouse drag] then shift select the adjacent curve and rigth click on it and choose curve point [with the shift key still held down] mmd that curve point on the hsame exact spot as the other curve point.

-this will never be exact. even if u do it this way. tis just the nature of nurbs, they are mathematically calculated, but thisis as close as u can get doing it manually.
after the curves have been detatched, u can then point snap them on each other, positioning them right on top of each other.
-then u would have to tweak the cv closest to the snapped points to get the tengency to match properly.

# 4 14-01-2005 , 06:32 PM
thx for responding!

Yes, I had this plan too, but in the end I found out about one simple command:

Cut Curve

With 2 copies of the same profiles tweaking is fun now and really fast.

PS: yesterday I searched for a command like CutCurve for 2 hours - today I found it right after starting maya. nevertheless - thank U for answering!