Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-03-2005 , 09:41 PM

Image sequences

Hi all you Maya artists!! or would be..

I have a little problem with image sequences.. I was originally trying to use AVIs to no avail, but I found out that Maya can only use image sequences.

I made a basic plane and created a material to which I applied a tif sequence generated in After Effects. The image appeared, but when I checked USE IMAGE SEQUENCE the material suddenly went black..

I'd already had some success with a tif sequence that I'd output from the Maya renderer with no problems, but any sequence generated from outside Maya doesn't seem to work!!??

Is this a codec problem? I tried JPEG sequences and uncompressed tif sequences without any joy.. what I don't understand is why it shows me the first image when the use image sequence checkbox is unticked. It also gives me a strange message in the script editor saying that the relevant file doesn't exist!!

anyone more savvy on this stuff?

any help as always will be greatly appreciated..

# 2 11-03-2005 , 02:43 PM
I was doing this today and had similar issues:

what i did was made sure my frames were padded to four digits e.g. 0100 and then turn on use image sequence. Then there is a box undr that that says "frame number". Click the box next to that and it should add the expression:

frameExtension=frame

If it doesn't do that then it will go black. Make ure your padding is correct I think that may cause you problems

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 11-03-2005 , 07:16 PM
Thanks a lot Alan.. that did it.. you were right it was a question of frame padding.. when it was padded to 4 it worked, any other combination with my external image sequences didn't.. and to think I've been working on emergency solutions in After Effects all day!!!

# 4 12-03-2005 , 02:29 PM
cool! I'm glad it worked maya can be real funny about that sort of thing. generally you should always use 4 digit padding in anything you do because then you are guaranteed that any (read: most!) programs will read the sequence.

user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB