Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 06-12-2006 , 10:04 PM

Help me put together a decent Maya machine

I'm a student and just installed Maya at home. Very slow. I'm running an AMD 2200+ 1.8Ghz, 512Mb ram, not sure about the graphics card, but everything in there is at least 3 years old. My budget lies around $500. What's a good set-up for the price?

I need a job
# 2 06-12-2006 , 10:26 PM
Acid44
ill pm you on Friday or Saturday if you don't get an answer by then

# 3 06-12-2006 , 10:27 PM
well what about it is slow? if it's the interface that's usually a graphics card problem... so knowing what your graphics card is would help. if it's rendering that's slow that's usually a ram issue before it's a processor issue.

Accept no substitutions.
# 4 06-12-2006 , 11:20 PM

Originally posted by NeoStrider
well what about it is slow? if it's the interface that's usually a graphics card problem... so knowing what your graphics card is would help. if it's rendering that's slow that's usually a ram issue before it's a processor issue.

Both of those are an issue for me, actually. I know I could use more ram and a better video card, but I didn't want to spend the money on that if I'm going to end up buying a whole new computer eventually anyway.

I need a job
# 5 06-12-2006 , 11:22 PM
Not too sure what PC prices are like in the US but $500 for a maya set up will only get you something basic

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 06-12-2006 , 11:26 PM
at home i've got a P4 2.0 with 512MB of ram and a 64MB ati radeon all-in-wonder pro 8500 dv. it certainly does NOT scream; but i have no problems with how maya performs, even with heavy scenes. maybe you're just impatient! user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 7 07-12-2006 , 12:29 AM

Originally posted by gster123
Not too sure what PC prices are like in the US but $500 for a maya set up will only get you something basic

I don't need anything killer. My home computer doesn't need to top my work computer, what ever that may end up being.

edit: and yes, I'm impatient.

I need a job
# 8 11-12-2006 , 11:39 AM
Subscriber
Well, for about four hundred bucks australian, I just bought something to keep me going for a bit.

Asus P5800 MB - $85 agp - not pcie or pcix
1024 Mb Elixir mem - $160
Celeron 2.66Ghz - $90
WD 80gb 8m cache Sata - $73

It would be nice if the cpu was faster, but they don't come any cheaper than this 'un.

Also, it's a pity I knew nothing about the current crop of 3d accelerated cards when I got the MB. Neither nvidia nor ati's current offering appear to be agp based. But again, it was only 85 bucks and its got 7.1 sound, 10/100 Lan, and intel 865 video, amongst others. Just for an entry-level cards from Ati or Nvidia you need about $250.

It's not uncommon for me to get up to 750Mb used during a render. When rendering the Ferrari remastered model and the Hippo model, the memory ran out and I was into swap-file space.

Also, with the way that memory is organised inside of computers these days, you'll get better performance from 2 x 512 Mb memory modules than you'll get from a single 1 gig module. It'll be cheaper too.

Simon