Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 18-11-2011 , 10:15 AM
Lifetime Member

Real Life Footage with CG (Surfing with the Alien)

Hi,

I am not sure where I can request video tutorials, so here it goes.

I would love to see a simplymaya tutorial showing the process on how to "insert" the CG Alien Surfer walking around in a real life footage and rendering out.

Thank you.

# 2 18-11-2011 , 10:49 AM
The Nurb Herd
you would need a matchmove tutorial too... unless a tracked scene was provided.

you'd also need to decide on what software to use to comp it.

# 3 18-11-2011 , 03:07 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi honestdom,

Appreciated your reply and the know how.
I really would love to learn how to do such thing.

Do you know of any tutorial / book that gives such training for beginners?

Thank you.

P.S. Very nice reel mate.

# 4 18-11-2011 , 03:19 PM
Lifetime Member

# 5 18-11-2011 , 04:03 PM
The Nurb Herd
That looks like a good tutorial.
Only thing i would say is that synthEyes although good is not the most common camera tracker. I've never used that 'maya composite' so i can't tell you if its good or not. I'd say the best compositing program is nuke. Its pretty much the industry standard now. I would try to learn that if getting work in the VFX industry is your ultimate goal. AE is more used by guys who do motion graphics.
The tutorial looks pretty comprehensive. Some things you wont need to know, like shooting your own hdri. Its cool, but not essential. plus you will need a grey diffuse ball and a chrome ball too. So these will cost some extra money... unless you do something magical with tin foil. They seem to provide the backplate and unless you have a DSLR that can record hd footage. the filming bit might be a bit rubbish too.
things like dust and explosions are great, but unless you know them already they will be really hard to pull off. 2D artists will use 2D elements for a lot of things like that. I imagine you wont have many of those so it could be hard.
Its quite an ambitious subject for a tutorial. it would be simpler if it were just the alien walking down a street or something. It would be even easier if it were just an object in a room.
It does look like a good tutorial but rather advanced in areas. I would imagine people could lose interest and momentum quite easily.

# 6 19-11-2011 , 02:17 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi honestdom,

I just looked closer at the screen shots and some previews and that is not really for beginners imo. A more intermediate level I would say. Yes, I don't need all the things that is mentioned there, just a character walking down the street with some good lighting setup to make it more as realistic as possible that would do the trick. Just an entry level for including real life footage with CG.
Have to give up on that eat3d tutorial, far too complicated for an entry level IMO.

If you know of anything like that, please feel free to send me a message. Appreciated.

# 7 24-04-2013 , 09:20 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Thers a matchmove tute on here somewhere

J