Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 21-06-2012 , 09:22 PM
Subscriber

mia material questions..?

user added image Can somebody please help me on using mia_material_x material and adding a bump in Advanced>Mental Ray Bump>mib_bump_map2 because I cant seem to get it to work! Is it just best just to use bump 2d in the standrd bump section?

user added image My second question is when should I use the mentalrayTexture as this seems to crash maya when using it to link to a texture in the diffuse slot at render time?

user added image Last but not least does anybody know of any good books about mental ray textures in maya that covers all bases including layered textures in mentalray and when to use standard maya texture nodes with mentalray textures etc..?

The last thing I want to do, is to start doing things the wrong way and getting into bad habbits because thats the only way i could figure it out ect...

Thanks in advance for any help user added image

# 2 21-06-2012 , 10:12 PM
Super Moderator
1. Involving all those other nodes is the obsolete convoluted way because the plain old mia_material does not have a bump slot so yes just plug the map into the standard bump slot.

2. You don't have to use MR textures with MR shaders, the Maya textures work just fine. With the mentalrayTexture, there are usually other connections and nodes involved and all that might not even be necessary if you wanted to say...put a concrete texture on a warehouse floor.

3. I can't think of any, a lot of what I know comes from spots around the net, the help files and a ton of experimenting.

- Genny