Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 21-06-2012 , 10:28 PM

Maya is not saving circular fillet

I think this must be some Maya glitch because I add a circular fillet (rounded corner) to my nurbs model but every time I save it and then open it again its gone! Everything else I have done is there all except the circular fillets.

Anyone had this before? It happens every time. I have saved it as a different file and it does exactly the same thing.

I have attached the file. Try adding a circular fillet to the model in the center using the flat surface and the cylindrical surface and then save and open again.

Attached Files
File Type: zip clover_dome_LATEST.mb.zip (11.9 KB, 287 views)
# 2 22-06-2012 , 02:30 PM
Okay, first the file you uploaded has already had the circular fillet applied and the fillet is no longer there so I can not go backwards. What I need in the file BEFORE you do the fillet!

Second, why are you using a circular fillet in the first place? Why not start with a nurbs cylinder and then do a "Edit nurbs > Round Tool"?

Anyway, I cannot reproduce the problem you are having but because you are doing it in a strange way I am still not sure if it is something you are doing or if you have a maya problem.

Also, your version of Maya is the student version so that could have something to do with it. In any event I have to run out for a while when I get a chance I will post something about Fillets vs Rounds and Trims and Trim Convert.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 23-06-2012 , 01:51 AM
I ended up just using the round tool which stays visible when I reopen the file. I'll just avoid using circular fillet for now. I really wouldent think the student version would make any difference as the only difference is the notice when you save and open the file. I'm sure this is just a bug.

# 4 23-06-2012 , 04:19 AM
What version of maya are you using because if it's a bug it has to be something on your system. I use NURBs quite a lot and I can verify that on my windows 7 x64 system circular fillet works for maya 2010, 2011, 2012, abd 2013.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 23-06-2012 , 02:32 PM

What version of maya are you using because if it's a bug it has to be something on your system. I use NURBs quite a lot and I can verify that on my windows 7 x64 system circular fillet works for maya 2010, 2011, 2012, abd 2013.

I'm using Maya 2012 on a mac (snow leopard).