Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 27-08-2012 , 01:51 PM

3 (I guess) quite basic questions

Hey there! First of all respect to this forum! Already really helped me a lot!
So here's the situation. I'm working on a little scene, where I have some sort of spaceship within a few clouds and in this spaceship there's a guy that's throwing up a little ball that becomes some kind of robo-bird.
So the modelling, rigging and animation is in most parts done but there are some problems.

1. The guy in the spaceship was filmed in front of a greenscreen and keyed out. My Idea was i put him as a imageplane into the scene and animate the bird to this scene. But I just can't figure out how to say mental ray that my scene should be exactly in the size of the image plane, i always have some little room in the left and right that's not belonging to the aperture. I guess I have to do some camera setting, but I don't know how to do that, I've seen exported files from boujou and stuff where it automatically fixes that problem. I have no idea user added image and this leads us to the

2. question. To composite the birds afterwards exactly in his hand I need to render it in two layers (Bird and Background). I've seen that stuff in Max with the object ID's but I don't get it in maya. If I set 2 render Layers and one has just the bird I get the problem, that the bird has no light and no reflections from the background. How can I achieve, that it's exactly the same just without the background?

3. The spaceship itself has a half sphere as roof. On this object I applied the mia_material with the glass_thick preset to start from that on. But when I render the scene it does quite strange stuff. How can I fix this?! https://minus.com/mkQd5Wvyb/

I know it's a lot of shit I'm asking, but it really freaks me out. I wanted to ask for a trainee job in 2 weeks but I'm afraid I can't finish this demo scene user added image Thank you so much and have a wonderful day (and sorry for my ****ed up english). Alex

# 2 27-08-2012 , 09:51 PM
Super Moderator
1. You may have to tweak the `film back` settings for the camera, it also won't hurt to check out its `display options` attributes as well.

2. ObjectID pass

3. Could be lamina faces.

- Genny