Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 27-09-2012 , 03:51 AM
Subscriber

Maya - Menu question

Hi guys,

I am learning Maya through one of the training of the site. The version of video is old.
In my Maya which is 2013 I do not have Polygons, Mesh....

So I can't find Boolean - Union

I want to know how to customize the top top menu. mine is too small.... it has mostly stuff related to Nurbs.. Surface... No Polygon!

# 2 27-09-2012 , 05:33 AM
All of the tools in older versions of maya will be in maya 2013. They just changed the names of some of the menus and moved the commands around a bit.

ncloth and ndynamics are newer, but cloth and dynamics are still supported.

There are menu sets (in the drop down menu in the upper right) and they are:

Animation, Polygons, Surfaces, Dynamics, Rendering, nDynamics.

Back around maya 7 or 8 they changed Polygon tools to Mesh and Mesh Edit but continued to call the menu Polygons.

They changed NURBs tools to Surfaces and Edit NURBs and changed the menu name to Surfaces.

This was done to unify the way both Max and Maya refer to polygons. Max always referred to them as Meshes so they changed the nomenclature in Maya to be consistant with Max but they kind of mixed up naming in Maya as they still refer to the polygon menu and not the mesh menu and have edit nurbs instead of edit surfaces so now in maya you have nurbs being referred to as both nurbs and surfaces and polygons being referred to as polygons and meshes (Boje Moi!)

So that is a brief history lesson.

The short answer is all the tools are still there for polygons they are just under the mesh and mesh edit tools menus and the nurbs tools are still there but they are now in the surfaces and edit nurbs tools menus.

NOTE: there is one exception that I can think of to all this and that is they did replace the old split polygon tool with the new interactive split polygon tool but the old tool is still there it's just not in the edit mesh menu anymore. You have to type splitPolygonTool and splitPolygonToolOptions in the command line to get the old tool.

If you are still confused just reply with a list of any of the old commands that you cannot find and we will point you to the new versions.

I have attached a screen shot of where the boolean tools are in 2013 (polygons: mesh>booleans)

Attached Thumbnails

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 27-09-2012 at 05:36 AM.
# 3 29-09-2012 , 04:10 PM
Subscriber
thanks a lot! :-)

# 4 29-09-2012 , 05:26 PM
EduSciVis-er
Just to add to the split polygon tool, you can always find it with an object selected, then shift+RMB > mouse left, then right.