Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 08-02-2013 , 11:41 AM

Create a line that runs parallel to a (almost) oval.

Hey. I got another question.

Right now I working on modeling a bonnet to a car. At the upper edge of the bonnet towards the windshield, I'm planning to add a lip that can conceal the wiper blades underneath it. In order to create this lip, then I come to conclusion that I have to add a line that runs parallel to the upper edge of the bonnet. This edge is not properly half-round, it's more half-oval, which probably makes it harder to just add another circle beneath it.

Are there any tools that will be able to trace the line of the edge and add a parallel line beneath it, or do I have to do it manually?

Here is the bonnet from above:
user added image

An example of what I'm looking to model (the lip that extend upward right in front of the windshield):
user added image

The bonnet seen from the same angle as the car above. Note the lack of any upfacing lips.
user added image

# 2 08-02-2013 , 12:53 PM
Lifetime Member
Use the split poly tool. You have way to many edge loops to start with and those you have on the fender...are not good at all. The geometry you have on the fender is going to cause you some serious headaches mate....

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 08-02-2013 , 01:17 PM
Lifetime Member
Im no car modeller but I know you have way too a complex geo with lots of triangles too. If you want to look at some good cars check out acid or clearairstudios works. Here is a file for you to see, smooth preview (3 button) and see what I have done with little geo. See also that I have kept it to a minimum...for now. All the details etc come later. Its almost like making a character really, get the shape right with as little geo as possible..TRY and achieve quads...I didnt have a ref top work too so forgive the caveman looking car but you get the drift.

good luck

cheers bullet

Attached Files
File Type: zip Heyhei.zip (10.0 KB, 287 views)

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 08-02-2013 , 01:29 PM

Use the split poly tool. You have way to many edge loops to start with and those you have on the fender...are not good at all. The geometry you have on the fender is going to cause you some serious headaches mate....

cheers bullet

Hey. I'm aware that the fender isn't much to speak about. I initially rendered it too bulky and high compared to what I had intended, so I reduced the height and massing and added a few edge a little bit on random to just get a impression of how it would look if properly done. Don't mind it, as I'm in the process of re-doing it. user added image

As for the bonnet: How do I use the polygon split tool to get a smooth round-ish shape that follows the upper edge of the bonnet?

# 5 08-02-2013 , 03:19 PM
EduSciVis-er
I would clean up the stray verts (select the verts that only have two edges running into them and hit delete) and use the insert edge loop tool. Just click close to the top edge and you'll get an approximation of the same curve.

# 6 08-02-2013 , 08:01 PM

I would clean up the stray verts (select the verts that only have two edges running into them and hit delete) and use the insert edge loop tool. Just click close to the top edge and you'll get an approximation of the same curve.

Yes, that worked out. user added image Here is how it appears:

user added image

Now I will be worked on even out and smoothing the lines. user added image

Last edited by Heyhei; 08-02-2013 at 08:08 PM.