Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 12-03-2014 , 03:33 AM

No Shaders in Photoshop from Maya

I'm a noob so bare with me please :p

I spent a few hours yesterday shading a 3D character I made in Maya only to import it as an .OBJ file into photoshop to find that none of the shading I did was exported out of Maya. Eventually, I need to get the 3D Model into After Effects to create an animation.

How do I export my 3D Model AND all the shading work I did from Maya?

Right now the whole thing is sitting in Photoshop completely gray. Am I missing something?

# 2 12-03-2014 , 05:07 AM
Technical Director
Yes, you need to render the 3d model into a 2d image. Importing a 3d object into Photoshop is very limited and is not at all supported by After Effects.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 12-03-2014 , 07:40 PM
i dont think photoshop 3D thing (?) supports any material files, since materials in diffrent programs usually are very unique, the mia_material_x (for example), might not be supported by any other 3D program. what you need to do instead is focus on maps like specular, diffuse, transperency etc. I dont see why you need your shading network to be imported in photoshop, since photoshop is mostly 2D i dont understand how you would get your shading network in there ?

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^