Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 18-03-2014 , 07:06 PM
Subscriber

Transform tools will not move points or hulls...

I am building the Red Girl tutorial. (actually I'm just winging it and playing with NURBS spheres). After successfully bringing up CV's and moving points around, I've detached a mouth part and selected the inner hull and prepared to push the hull inward to form a mouth. Suddenly my Transform tools will not move the points/hulls. When I click the mouse on the tool it grays out. What have I done wrong?

# 2 18-03-2014 , 08:16 PM
Lifetime Member
Can you post a screen shot and maybe upload your scene as a zip?

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 3 19-03-2014 , 01:20 AM
Subscriber

Can you post a screen shot and maybe upload your scene as a zip?

I'm having a bit of trouble writing a URL address. (I'll keep trying) But I posted a picture to my Blog. Here's the URL for that

https://kelleythennow.blogspot.com/

You'll see the Transform Tool with its 3 arrows. If I click dead center, it completely grays out. If I click on one arrow, only that one grays out. In any case, the same thing happens with all three of the Transformation Tools.

I'll continue to try to get the MAYA scene to you.

# 4 19-03-2014 , 01:30 AM
Subscriber

# 5 19-03-2014 , 01:44 AM
Lifetime Member
Should be fairly simple to upload a scene when you post here. Instead of using 'Post Quick Reply' choose 'Go Advanced' then scroll down and under Additional Options select Manage Attachments. Browse to find your file (make sure that it is a supported file - hence the reason I suggested a zip) and click the upload button. It should then be attached when you click 'Submit Reply'.

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 6 19-03-2014 , 02:27 AM
Subscriber
It gets curiouser and curiouser. When I re-opened the .doc (I had X-Ray selected) it turned out that I had moved the points back into the head. I selected them and moved them around. Then I selected the next closest isoparm, brought up its CV's and attempted to scale them. I'm back to square one. None of the Transform tools will work.

I used WIN RAR to make what I thought was a .zip file, but the uploader won't recognize it. I'll keep at it because I'm going to need it.

# 7 19-03-2014 , 02:33 AM
Lifetime Member
What type of machine are you using, Windows or Mac? I use Windows and I simply select the scene file, right hand click and select 'send to > compressed (zip) folder'. I'm assuming this would be different for Mac users though.

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 8 19-03-2014 , 03:40 AM
Subscriber
And there it was, right under my nose. Trouble is, I only need a Zip file once every few years and totally forgot. So...here's the Maya Scene.

Attached Files
File Type: zip TEST HEAD.zip (9.5 KB, 362 views)
# 9 19-03-2014 , 03:51 AM
Lifetime Member
Okay, so I've had a look and I can't find anything wrong at my end, I can scale, move and rotate it fine. There are a few things you can try though.

1. Exit Maya and reopen it. Sometimes this works sometimes it doesn't.

2. Export your object as an .obj then re-import it and see if you can modify it.

3. Rename your user prefs so that Maya makes a new set. This might get it back working again as this is a regularly used way to get around Maya bugs.

4. If all else fails it might be best to start over in a new scene.

Sorry that I can't actually tell you what the problem is, hopefully one of the above helps.

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 10 19-03-2014 , 03:07 PM
Subscriber

Okay, so I've had a look and I can't find anything wrong at my end, I can scale, move and rotate it fine.

I was afraid of that when I saw that it had cured itself when I re-opened the scene.

But thanks for the advice. I'll try 'em all.