Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 30-03-2014 , 02:30 AM
Subscriber

Grouped objects don't stay grouped...

I selected all the objects on one side of the cloister (as shown here) and grouped them. I then did a Duplicate Special to mirror and moved it into place. Everything seemed grouped; all the lines were green. But as soon as I deselect, and then try to select the grouped object again, I'm back to individual pieces.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 30-03-2014 , 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
You are most likely not selecting the group node or "parent" node. Whenever you "group" objects in Maya, it creates a dummy transformation node(a node that can be moved,rotated, scaled etc) and all selected objects become children of it. One of the ways you can navigate this hierarchy is with the arrow keys on your keyboard, the "up arrow" allows you to select the object that is a tier higher in the group than the currently selected object. In this case, if you hit the key once or maybe twice, I'm pretty sure you'll select the group.

This is one reason why I prefer a panel layout that includes the Outliner 90% of the time as I feel like I'm working blindly if I can't see a list of objects in my scene constantly.

- Genny
# 3 30-03-2014 , 05:47 PM
Subscriber
Very clever. I found it. As scenes become more complex, I will find a place for the Outliner too.