Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 29-10-2014 , 09:47 PM

Combining Polygons

Hey guys,

I have completed my 3D model of Zero and now wish to animate it. Problem is, when i combine all the meshes together, All meshes either harden, or smoothen. For example, i made the face in smooth preview, and the helmet in normal preview. I want to keep all meshes exactly as they are. Any ideas?
Forgive me if this is really easy and i'm missing it, i'm new to 3D modelling.

*prntscrn 1 is before combining, and prntscrn 2 is after combining. Notice the smooth/hard meshes.

Thanks

Ahmed Raya

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 10-01-2015 , 12:23 AM
Hi,

I assume you may have solved this by now but the reason they will all change to hard edges is because you make your model in smooth mesh preview which is what it exactly what it says, a preview. So when you try combine the two objects the smooth mesh preview object will revert back to the hard edged model.

To prevent this from happening, you can either;

Add more polygons while modelling initially 'without' smooth mesh preview active, turning it on every now and then for reference.

Or the real easy method, select the object you want to stay smooth, go to modify-convert-smooth mesh preview to polygons

This will change the smooth mesh preview to an actual model with more polygons and you should have no problems combining it with the rest of your model

Hope this helps

Ever Try, Ever Fail, No Matter. Try Again, Fail Again, Fail Better.

Last edited by mendosa69; 10-01-2015 at 09:01 PM.