Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 05-06-2004 , 12:37 PM

ok

When i posted though cameras, i didn't have that problem, but then the cylinder i created would be behind the image on the front view and i need it in front so i can change it according to the reference.

# 17 05-06-2004 , 03:07 PM
Perhaps you should check out some of the free video tutorials we offer. We have one on image plane setup if you haven't seen it, yet. You could also go to our download section and download kbrown's refplanes mel script which makes things even easier.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 18 05-06-2004 , 07:53 PM

ahead of u

I already did, but he doesn't explain it the camera attribute way. He does the polygon plane way. that way doesn't work, because whenever i try to change the shading of an object, it changes the plane too so i can't see the picture.

edit: would it help if i posted a picture of what i'm talking about??

# 19 05-06-2004 , 08:01 PM
The easiest way is to just assign a shader to your object and adjust the shader's transparency so you can see the planes behind it. Then you don't have to worry about the planes.

The regular img planes through the camera is pretty straight-forward. If you want, post the file and I'll take a look (if it's a maya 5 file or older).

# 20 05-06-2004 , 11:49 PM

here

here i hope this picture works. If not could someone tell me how to post one. I tried to sensor it for the forum. U see the main problem is that i can't get the cylinder in front of that image plane on the front view. I hope this helps.

# 21 05-06-2004 , 11:54 PM

oops

sry i made the pic to big. I made it smaller.

notice the cylinder in the back. It is only half showing. The other half is behind.

Attached Images
# 22 05-06-2004 , 11:57 PM
Move your plane backwards?

# 23 06-06-2004 , 01:12 AM

doesn't help

THe plane itself won't move backwards, but some outline thing in the backgrond moves.

# 24 06-06-2004 , 08:20 AM
Sorry, havn't done the dragon head tutorial but if you projected them through the cameras then open your outliner and go choose your Front camera. Then open you attribute editor and click on 'enviroment'. in there are places you can adjust the translation. Again, I havnt done the tut so I don't know how it's done there. If it's just an image plane with a picture file as a texture then you *should* be able to move it the normal ways.

# 25 06-06-2004 , 05:10 PM

I tried that

I kinda clicked around, and i found that translate option, but no matter what i set it at the plane in the front view won't move. Anyway, i did it the texture/polygon plane way, and i shaded the object transparently, so its working now. Thankyou everyone.

# 26 07-06-2004 , 07:55 PM
Subscriber
In doing modeling using an image plane you can just create a plane & place an image on it but all the above problems will incur. The proper way to get down to some serious modeling is to use the image plane imported through the *Camera Attribute Editor*. It will not be affected by x-ray or anything of the such. It is only a crisp image plane which can only be adjusted through its own attribute settings. Not those used in the Maya workspace. If any help is needed just post a reply.

# 27 07-06-2004 , 08:05 PM
Exactly. You have to think that when you set up image planes through the camera, you're looking at the planes based on the camera's settings (think of holding a camera in your hand with a picture taped to the lens).

# 28 08-06-2004 , 02:15 AM

ok

when i tried to move the plane using its settings it would move, but it made no difference whether i moved it back, it didn't changet it in the front view. I see what ur saying about the camera and the picture in front of the lense, but how do i move it back so its in the background not the forground. Anyway i went ahead and made it the not so great way. Here's the start of the arm. Try not to die laughing, cause it isn't very good. lol. I'm learning. Anyway, i've only modified it in the front view that's why it has the dark outside on it. lol..... Here it is.

Attached Images
# 29 08-06-2004 , 03:43 AM
hey go into your properties for the image plane and tone the alpha gain thing (underneath color somewhere round there, think its alpha gain) anyways tone the thing down to bout... .5 when your ready to render just take it down the rest of the way

# 30 08-06-2004 , 04:14 AM
Subscriber
Hi wright100, Sorry for the delay, I was placing a movie on a TV screen in a scene of mine through hypershade that I created in Maya. Anyhow
So we're on the same page. In the working view menue bar choose Panels > Layouts > Two Panes side by side // In the Panel on the left choose Panels > Orthographic > Front // in the right panel choose Panels > Orthographic > Side // Right click on any view configuration below your tool bar // select Save Current Layout // name it Front/Side // You can now get this view by clicking the view of it below the tool bar or RMB those views selecting it or choose Panels > Saved Layouts > Front/Side // In the front view menue bar select View > Camera Attribute Editor // In the frontShape tab that opened on the right (the Attribute Editor) open the ENVIRONMENT swirley & LMB click Create // Now in the same area Image Plane Attributes swirley (half way down) LMB click the *folder* to the right of Image Name // Here is where you will select your FRONT photo // ditto all for the Side View & import Your side photo // All is Great except for the orientation // Now look atop the tabs you just created // see its menue bar // select focus // this is where you will access the image you need to work on // or you can always go back to View > Camera Attribute Editor in the Right or Side view //
*Orientation* In the Image Plane 1 or 2 Tab You will work on the 1st or second image imported. You can see it in the Image Plane Sample & can rename it if you like // Moving along in the Image Plane go to the Placement Extras swirly mid way you see Center that is x,y,z // You probably have to bring them up about 15 or so in y // I like the bottom of the model flush with the grid your choice // Do the same for the side model // Now look at it in your Perspective view(just select perspective view) // If they don't match exact & they probably won't in that Focus menue I mentioned select the one you want to make larger or smaller // get its Image Plane // Go back to Placement Extras & change its scale (size) with Width or Height (I think only the height works) // As you play around a little you will finally match the model (Front & Side) // Now back to the original problem // in the "Placement Extras > Center" for the front image move the model (photo) back (If all is as I think it will be a -z value about -15) // Move the side image to the left about a -15 (maybe in x) Now you have the perfect set of image planes to model with not to be affected by x-ray or whatever. I select these & put them on a layer to be visible or not, it comes in handy. I also make an extra set of camera views & have my model intersect dead center at 0,0,0 & model between split model images & centered images between my front,side & perspective view. This is about a tutorial full, if when you need help with extra planes . . . let me know. Seems like alot but its easy & when you get it down modeling will be easier & more accurate GOOD LUCK