Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 07-07-2007 , 10:30 AM
its some of your normals playing up. I generally set 'normals to face' and then re-soften/harden the model edges when this occurs.

nice progress btw user added image

Si

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 17 07-07-2007 , 06:29 PM
Subscriber
yea that looksl like a normals problems. sometimes that also happens with funny edges but i dont see any so do what t1ck said and if that doesnt work, u can just deleted those faces and add new ones using the append poly tool

Toyota Supra WIP

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 18 08-07-2007 , 12:20 AM
Thanks guys. Turns out that it wasn't a normals problem. Somehow all of the edges on most of the mesh got duplicated on top of each other and since some of them are border edges, maya won't let me delete them. So now I have to delete all of the faces until the mesh is smooth again...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 19 08-07-2007 , 12:21 AM
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Attached Thumbnails

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

# 20 08-07-2007 , 12:36 AM
Didn't take too long afterall. Now I can keep going.

Attached Thumbnails

# 21 08-07-2007 , 08:23 PM
I modeled the rear shape of the car, but I'm not sure if it looks right. I don't know if the rear is too wide or not. Another problem I'm having is modeling the tear details. I used a semi-transparent lambert on it so that I could see the blueprint, but I can also see the front of the mesh and it's very confusing to see what edges are in the front and which are in the back. So, I used x-ray on the camera, but got the same problem. How can I model the rear if eveything looks so jumbled up¿?

Attached Thumbnails

# 22 08-07-2007 , 08:25 PM
Smooth

Attached Thumbnails

# 23 09-07-2007 , 01:57 AM
Not a big update. Just did details on the door. For some reason it doesn't look right when I smooth it though.

Attached Thumbnails

# 24 09-07-2007 , 02:09 AM
Edges are looking rough.

Attached Thumbnails

# 25 10-07-2007 , 08:39 PM
You need to add some edges to hold the door not curved like this so you use the edit mesh - insert edge loop and add edges

Attached Thumbnails

You Deserve

Last edited by zico_samagoria; 10-07-2007 at 08:45 PM.
# 26 10-07-2007 , 09:01 PM
add the edges like that

Attached Thumbnails

You Deserve
# 27 11-07-2007 , 12:12 AM
Subscriber
I saw you ask the question on how to edit the back of the car with the blueprint if all the wires look the same because you can see the front. Usually when building a vehicle you have to do it in separate pieces, the hood, the roof, the windows, the bumpers, the fenders, trunk... if you separate all of your geometry you can then hide what isn't being worked on at the moment and then bring it back when you want to work on it some more.

# 28 12-07-2007 , 08:58 AM
Thanx zico. It worked when I tried it. The only problem is that I don't want to put too many edges near the door. I also tried stitching the door which kind of worked well too.

# 29 12-07-2007 , 10:13 AM
Subscriber
what zico did is a good method but sometimes its better to sue bevel to get 3 edges because doing it his way, u will have edges so sharp, it looks like it can cut through paper. Wit the bevel, it rounds it and then u can play with the parameters so get it more round or seperate the lines until it looks te way you want. either way, u will have to add those edges if you want ur seems to look like seems

Toyota Supra WIP

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 30 12-07-2007 , 11:11 AM
Doing it this way did give me very sharp edges.