View Poll Results: Currently working in the industry, Looking for work in the industry, Or Just a hobby
Currently working in the cg industry 4 22.22%
Looking for work in the cg industry 4 22.22%
Only does cg as a hobby 10 55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 25-01-2009 , 04:20 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by jali
screw autodesk:headbang: ,

i say use your version of maya anyway, you bought it ligit so how the hell can they tell you what you can and cant do,

it's part of the agreement on buying the software, they can tell you what you can and can't do however they like

how they check up on it, though, is beyond me...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 17 27-01-2009 , 11:21 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Chirone
it's part of the agreement on buying the software, they can tell you what you can and can't do however they like

how they check up on it, though, is beyond me...

what i never knew that was part of the agreement,

anyway whats the point in buying the student version if it only last's one year,

because most university courses in the uk last 3 years,

thats menas you'd have to buy the student copy at least three times,

# 18 27-01-2009 , 07:38 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
" thats menas you'd have to buy the student copy at least three times"

-no you have a permanent studentlicense, which if i remember correctly you can upgrade to a full commercial license for 1000 euro/dollar, depending on which version you have(complete or unlimited.

The reason they probably know is that dear mr perfecto's license expired and when he asked for a new one it got denied on the forementioned reasons
so perfecto could still buy a legit student license if he wishesuser added image

# 19 27-01-2009 , 08:19 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by jali
anyway whats the point in buying the student version if it only last's one year,

because most university courses in the uk last 3 years,

thats menas you'd have to buy the student copy at least three times,

can i justify this by saying they bring out a new version each year?
forcing you to keep up with the new tools and innovations of the newer versions and thus encouraging you to be up-to-date with the latest technology
and yeah youo can counter with the same old argument "the latest isnt always the best etc" but that's usually because people misuse it right?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 20 28-01-2009 , 02:27 AM
I asked for an upgrade and Autodesk said they don't offer the student upgrade anymore that I would have to buy the complete version. So I have to buy another student license or buy a commercial license. Or get the trial version of course which is not an option for me.

I'll be leaning blender so that I can continue with some projects I'm working on. Blender is free and what I can tell it's not half bad.

Edit: And to my knowledge, I would need to find someone in college to buy the student version for me since I'm no longer in school. That's also assuming I have the money to buy the student license in the first place.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 28-01-2009 at 02:30 AM.