Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 08-01-2012 , 05:13 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
increase the weight values in the epidermal or subdermal channel

J

# 17 08-01-2012 , 05:49 PM
Lifetime Member

increase the weight values in the epidermal or subdermal channel

J

Hi Jay,

Thanks mate. I've been doing that as you suggested before. I think that when you use misss_fast_skin_shader, the colors just don't really pop as you have in the maps exactly... "I think"...
I already did hundreds of test renders and during the process, learned quite a lot about mr. All just playing around really and some researching. The one thing I found it annoying, is that the image in IPR looks goods, only to find out after the real render, all colors are different and the SSS as well. When I do a real render, it just comes up totally different. I posted 2 images in my previous post (page 1). Check it out user added image
I think I'm moving forward with the eyes now and let see how it turns.
Once again, thanks mate. I know you are extremely busy mate, no worries.

Last edited by cgisoul; 08-01-2012 at 06:15 PM.
# 18 09-01-2012 , 05:57 PM
Lifetime Member
Holy Moly! Jay, thanks for the eye tutorial. That really helped tons.
Feel free to shoot any comments here. I'm trying to tweak the settings to make the eyes more like glass.
Did a bit of tuning in PS on the color. user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by cgisoul; 09-01-2012 at 06:34 PM.
# 19 09-01-2012 , 06:08 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yeah, the eyes are looking great. I'd work on the skin and lips. The skin is looking more like textured plastic. Try toning down the bump. And I'm not sure what it is about the lips, but I'm not sold on them. Keep it up!

Edit: I think it's the crease on the upper lip, it looks too sharp.

# 20 09-01-2012 , 06:33 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi stwert,

Thanks for the crits mate. That's very helpful. Before I read your comments I was re-rendering the image below. Both looks great, but this last one better I think.

Yes, the upper lips. Heard that crit before too. Need to find a way to work it out...maybe a complete re-sculpt on the lips or delete an edge loop around it. Will work on it later. Thanks mate. Appreciated.

Here's an update on the eyes.
Keep the crits flowing in user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by cgisoul; 09-01-2012 at 06:37 PM.
# 21 09-01-2012 , 06:36 PM
The thin red line
I would work on your specular map there is still to much of a sheen comming of the skin........dave

Edit:For the lip you can delete a edge or select the vert in that area then go to average verts in the mesh menu

Last edited by daverave; 09-01-2012 at 06:40 PM.
# 22 11-01-2012 , 01:04 PM
Look at the alien tute again. One of the skin maps is very saturated and very blurred...thats the one that will require heaps of weight. the other thing is your light setup...what are you doing?

Jay

# 23 11-01-2012 , 03:56 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi Dave,

Fixed that already in the new revision. Cooking something a bit different at the moment user added image

Hey Jay,

Thanks for looking into it. I'm trying to setup the mood I'm after for the alien. I need to tune it down at the moment is too bright. I'm going to unsaturate the map and try again, also crank up the weights as suggested. user added image

At the moment, I'm in the middle of other projects, need to put this one on hold until I can further work with it. Here's a super quick update from the small changes I made in the sculpt base mesh.

Just applied the normal, displace in the sss shader. Didn't do anything for now.

Rushing out!

Attached Images
# 24 12-01-2012 , 11:25 AM
Lifetime Member
No one's around. Home alone! Got to catch this opportunity!

Here's an update of the new sculpt I just did. Working on painting the skin again. New skin this time with no blurring user added image Thanks Jay for the nock on the head user added image

The round part of the back of the head is for me later to add something around it. Attached a quick sketch.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

Last edited by cgisoul; 12-01-2012 at 11:37 AM.
# 25 12-01-2012 , 12:36 PM
Lifetime Member
Base Skin Painting updated.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by cgisoul; 12-01-2012 at 02:12 PM.
# 26 12-01-2012 , 07:25 PM
Lifetime Member
One last update before heading to bed...3:25 a.m.
Just applied the maps (dif, epi, subd).

No displacement / normal / cavity / Specular yet...
No PS color correction yet...

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 12-01-2012 , 08:04 PM
The thin red line
Starting to come to life, looking good.................dave

# 28 12-01-2012 , 08:48 PM
Lifetime Member

Starting to come to life, looking good.................dave

Thanks Dave for your nice words. noob trying hard here. user added image

While I was testing some settings, I might, well, I believe I messed up with the mentalrayTexture2.
Cause when I do a test render, the render is stuck and doesn't move even in the lower testing settings.
In the Output Window it says: while defining texture "mentalrayTexture2": missing texture file name

user added image
Where should I pickup this missing mentalraTexture2 and add it that back to where it belongs.
Please

# 29 12-01-2012 , 10:31 PM
The thin red line
I would delete the shader and re assigne a new shader then assigne texture again............dave

# 30 14-01-2012 , 12:13 PM
Great job....really working now.

Ive finally got some time today to get on with Maya stuff at home (including new site tute) hoooooray!!! Its been hectic....so hectic.

I'll look at the old one this afternoon and see what I can do with the old one anyway. But it looks like the penny has dropped and you are heading in the right direction now....nice eyes!! user added image

Jay