Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 31 14-01-2012 , 12:48 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Dude your ma file is corrupt I cant extract it....mail me an obj

Cheers
J

# 32 14-01-2012 , 01:06 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi Jay,

Thanks mate for looking into that. I'll send you the obj in a minute.

I am completely blown away by the results of this latest update. Spent half day going around the light and sss settings, displacement, etc etc... just tweaking him and the result........... is stunning in comparison to the very first image I posted here. His eyes are awesome and I'm wondering who was the Tutor for that eyes modeling/setting tutorial at the training area here in simplymaya. hehehe. Thanks Jay, your instructions were/are very helpful. Really awesome mate!

Here's an update. The skin is not the best in the world, but for an noob like me, this is as good as it can be.
I'm working on the piece that goes around his head. Hopefully can show something later.

I would delete the shader and re assigne a new shader then assigne texture again............dave

Hey Dave,

Thanks mate, took your suggestion and re-did it again.
Cheers.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by cgisoul; 14-01-2012 at 01:14 PM.
# 33 14-01-2012 , 01:29 PM
Lifetime Member
A quick update just to show the concept.
I really love modeling in Maya, specially when you have all the tools most used in the Custom tab.
Baby feeding time! user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 34 14-01-2012 , 04:23 PM
Hey dude

Ive got your scene here just tweaking now. The biggest prob is the displacement map. Its 8 bit....bit of a no no. Some people will say 8bit dis maps work great -no they dont...16 bit are generally considered crap because of scale issues, so how an 8 bit one is good I'll never know...so stick with a higher bit depth...if your system can handle 32 bit even better!!
16 bit is okay but because it doesnt have a general scene scale you have to tweak alpha gain and offset to achieve as near as damn it to what was sculpted in Zbrush originally. 32 bit doesnt require this. So I cant really do much with that map you have provided. Not to worry, I'll play with the bump and sss and see what happens

In the render settings too, if you are deciding to use a normal map, make sure Maya Derivatives is ticked under the options tab or they wont work properly either.

Your work has improved tenfold on this last image. A backlight will help set it off even more

Cheers
J

# 35 14-01-2012 , 10:56 PM
Dude..haha the scene crashed so I redid it...amazing what can be achieved in 20mins!!

I can resend the whole scene if you want so you can see what I did. Nothing special. I just changed the color of the diffuse map to a greener color.

anyway just color maps and a bump.

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 36 15-01-2012 , 01:48 AM
Lifetime Member
Hey Jay,

Thanks mate for the great tips. I will definitely gen a 32 bit map next time, or even later Tonight.
I'm going to try to add a back-light and see how that will turn out. That would be awesome if you could send the file to cgisoul {{{{{ at }}}}} gmail {{{ dot }}} com
Man, I really appreciated your time in looking into that. Really learning tons here!

About Batman... I didn't buy the game yet, is really that good?
Waiting for Mass Effect 3 to come out in March. user added image

# 37 15-01-2012 , 01:13 PM
No worries will mail that thru later today.

Yeah its a great game - full on!!!

cheers
J

# 38 17-01-2012 , 10:20 AM
Lifetime Member
Spent the afternoon moving around lights, adding lights, deleting lights, tunning settings, etc etc etc... and among all the test renders, this one was the one standed out for the sort of realism I'm trying to achieve.
After looking at it the whole afternoon, I'm in need of some fresh eyes.
Jay, thanks for showing that mate, added a backlight with bluish color and a rim yellowish light.
The one before this one still looks CG, which I'm very happy with. However, I'm trying to make it look as realistic as I can.

Any CC is welcome, cheers everyone.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by cgisoul; 17-01-2012 at 10:51 AM.
# 39 17-01-2012 , 10:40 AM
The thin red line
I think you forgot the pic..............dave

# 40 17-01-2012 , 10:52 AM
Lifetime Member
Sorry mate, thanks.
Just attached it.

# 41 17-01-2012 , 11:16 AM
Lifetime Member
Updated the lighting...
Attached the lighting setup.
The result of the last image is from PS color adjustments (Exposure and Curve).

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

Last edited by cgisoul; 17-01-2012 at 11:52 AM.
# 42 17-01-2012 , 02:54 PM
The thin red line
I think I still like the one before Jay posted it could be to much light, have you tried turning the back light down a little...........dave

# 43 17-01-2012 , 03:01 PM
Lifetime Member

I think I still like the one before Jay posted it could be to much light, have you tried turning the back light down a little...........dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your crits mate. I'll try to have just two lights then. Still waiting for the Man (Jay) to send over his testings so I can sneak peak over his shoulder and see what he has done.

I'm posting just a play around with the base suit mesh (with no sculpting or whatsoever yet). I might just scrap the headphones or whatever you call that alien thing on his head.

Roger out, over. user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by cgisoul; 17-01-2012 at 03:05 PM.
# 44 22-01-2012 , 10:41 PM
Lifetime Member
Since 4 a.m. I've been trying to convince myself to go to bed, it's 6:41 a.m. and I can't even open my eyes anymore. ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 45 22-01-2012 , 11:09 PM
Looks great. Reminds me of the Alien in the last Star Trek movie on board the USS Kelvin

Will mail my stuff over shortly -just been on the go

J