Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 46 23-01-2012 , 07:25 AM
Lifetime Member

Looks great. Reminds me of the Alien in the last Star Trek movie on board the USS Kelvin

Will mail my stuff over shortly -just been on the go

J

Hey Jay, thank you. Glad you are enjoying this one.
I'm kind of taking some inspiration from the Crysis nano suit. hehe.
I think the Head is good and I'm not touching it before I spoiled it.
Focusing on the suit now, then background and I can finally call it done and move on with the rigging tut user added image
Cheers mate.

# 47 25-01-2012 , 07:49 AM
Lifetime Member
I'm almost calling this work done, just tweaking the lights. However.....
I need some opinion please. Been moving lights around and I don't seem to decide which one?
The first one or the second one? Or... none of them?
Thank you.

Attached Images
# 48 25-01-2012 , 10:25 AM
Lifetime Member
Hmm... Done?... perhaps? maybe? almost? Close up or half body as well? Grrrrr......
Man..... not a day to make decision I see...

Attached Thumbnails
# 49 25-01-2012 , 01:24 PM
EduSciVis-er
# 50 25-01-2012 , 03:11 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi stwert,

Thanks for your feedback mate. Sorry but I just had to tweak it a tide further...
I add to give him more live and "personality", he was too stiff.

user added image

Attached Images

Last edited by cgisoul; 25-01-2012 at 03:13 PM.
# 51 25-01-2012 , 04:16 PM
The Nurb Herd
nice job, there are a couple of things that really bother me about the model, but its a massive improvement from the first pic in the original post. well done.

# 52 25-01-2012 , 04:29 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi honestdom,

Thank you for your nice comment mate. Really appreciated. I'm trying different HDRI images for lighting and I'm currently rendering an image after lots of test renders. I think I'm closer now. Used Mudbox for the head twist.

Please tell me what is bothering you and I'll improve it if I can. Thanks mate. Appreciated.

# 53 25-01-2012 , 04:32 PM
Lifetime Member
I think I'm almost done, I'm really liking this light setup / mood...

Attached Images
# 54 25-01-2012 , 04:52 PM
Lifetime Member
Final render.
If there's no objections, I'll call it done! user added image

I might do some color correction in PS...

Attached Thumbnails
# 55 25-01-2012 , 05:35 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Well done. Vastly better than the one originally posted. The subdermal layer coloring could use a bit of uniformity. As it stands it has contrasting color islands.

But generally, this has turned out well. Nice work.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 56 25-01-2012 , 08:11 PM
Lifetime Member
Thank you Mayaniac for your nice comment.

I just tweaked the colors in Photoshop, rather then spending more time tweaking it in Maya and render testing any further.

Initially this was an exercise, by watching and learning Jay's awesome Surfing with the alien tutorials. It grew out on me and here's the result. I was quite stubborn on this one, there were always something that I wasn't quite happy about, but managed to further tweak it.

I am really calling this one DONE! I'm really proud indeed, for a noob like me who just started to learn Maya, this piece of art was definitely a result of many many hours of hard work and tons of tweaking. I'm really happy with it.

I really want to thank you all for all the constructive criticism. It has been very helpful indeed and a special thanks to Jay and Nilla for the constant encouragement as well.

Jay, I'm moving forward to with the last Volume Rigging and once that is done, I'll write my last piece of Review. ALSO......... looking forward for the new upcoming tutorials.

Man, it was really worth to join this community. I'll be adding this one into my website and update the progress there as well at https://www.mduque.com

Thank you ALL! user added image

And here goes the last version of them all!
I still have to come up a name for this guy.

Attached Thumbnails