Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 46 08-05-2003 , 11:18 PM
Subscriber
here's the shirt - not final but an attempt at folds around the shoulder/arm area and some more subtle ones up the side of the shirt

ereitz - cheers I messed around with split poly - infact I actually re attached it - it came out better the second time

el_newty - i used a method from a tutorial by steven tubbrit

https://users.tinyworld.co.uk/steven_...T_S_Ear_01.htm

cheers

Rich
# 47 09-05-2003 , 04:55 AM
Subscriber
He, He, He very funny, ...NIKE ai? do you make advertise or just I have that hunch...user added image They pay you for this? user added image

OK, beside the joke, it's a nice T-shirt user added image

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" A.Einstein
# 48 10-05-2003 , 10:10 PM
Subscriber
well I have a dilemma - my model is neither comical or realistic - I would prefer to go down the comical/characature route but I am not too sure what to do - any suggestions on how I could alter my direction?

here's the latest position - is it too late to make it more cartoony?

cheers

Rich
# 49 10-05-2003 , 10:43 PM
What if you rendered it cellshaded? I'm not sure how you do that though...

And you should do the hair kindof cartoonish, and try to make all your oustanding facial features more outstanding.

# 50 11-05-2003 , 02:28 PM
Subscriber
You could alter the proportions and/ or exagerate them a bit if you wanted a more cartoonish look. You could give the figure bigger hands and arms and make the head bigger etc. Or perhaps make the shirt really large and give him big tennis shoes.

You could try a toonshader effect with the proportions you have as GreyFox suggests (I have been playing around with that since I read M's thread where he shaded the fifth element weapon and it is rather fun). That would mean you could keep the model as it looks now but in a cartoon scene.

# 51 11-05-2003 , 03:42 PM
Subscriber
Yea, like witchy said.. basically what i would do is take different areas of the body, and make them bigger than average. Example would be, the chin, ears, nose, hands and feet. Also, if you take your eyes, which are quite realistic in the above render.. and morph it, to be more stretched out vertically or something.. maybe add more skin over the eyebrows... just fool around with it.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 52 11-05-2003 , 04:30 PM
Subscriber
cheers for the ideas guys - i think I am going with BIG tennis shoes, and mess with the other features - try them all big - my nose is quite large so that will be the first thing getting altered user added image got a big forehead as well - that will be altered

gonna have some bigass shorts as well.

thanks again

cheers

Rich
# 53 11-05-2003 , 06:33 PM
Subscriber
started tweaking the shape if the body - what do ya think - head looks a bit bizarre to me - very roswell user added image

cheers

Rich
# 54 11-05-2003 , 06:38 PM
Subscriber
LOL.. lookin great! Hahaha, much better user added image. One thing i suggest is to make your eyes a lot bigger user added image... And try to alter the mouth so it can open really wide user added image.. Lookin great user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 55 11-05-2003 , 06:59 PM
now it looks cartoonish because of the big hands. great stuff you made there.

# 56 11-05-2003 , 08:25 PM
Subscriber
Looking good, big shoes will be great too. A big head from all those tennis victories is a good thing! M's idea of making the eyes bigger is a winner I think.

# 57 11-05-2003 , 08:30 PM
Subscriber
what victories - i am english user added image

cheers

Rich
# 58 11-05-2003 , 09:45 PM
Subscriber
a bit more - what about the scale of the shorts - are they too small?? just thought it might accentuate the large hands and head(shoes as well when they are done)

cheers

Rich
# 59 11-05-2003 , 10:11 PM
How about about the same width on the shorts and shirt, and then shorter legs? And big feet of course user added image

# 60 12-05-2003 , 12:41 AM
Subscriber
here's an update - greyfox - using inbetween sized shorts/legs

added a bit of hair

cheers

Rich