Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 46 20-10-2003 , 01:58 PM
well still working on it....thats my daughter going to the castle user added image
I thought it will give a size reference for test....i want to mix these scenes with live video.....basically my daugter wondering in the castle...ambisious project ha?

Attached Thumbnails

If you can Imagine, Draw it, if you Draw it, Animate it, then it becomes a Masterpiece.....
# 47 20-10-2003 , 02:04 PM
Hey guys,

in this one i added shadows, the night sky, and the lake...is dark but is suppose to be a moonlight scene....

Any comments will be appreciated

Attached Thumbnails

If you can Imagine, Draw it, if you Draw it, Animate it, then it becomes a Masterpiece.....
# 48 20-10-2003 , 02:07 PM
The entrance with light from the fire and shadows....

Attached Thumbnails

# 49 20-10-2003 , 02:14 PM
HI guys

And this is the lake, I didn't turn the raytracing since an error of low memory comes up and don't finish the render...i have 750mb and with the page file this scene can eat more than 1.50 gb when the error comes up,

question....
1-Does this scene suppose to eat more than 1.5 gb of memory?
2- For the fire light i put a point light on each fire on the scene, Is this the way i suppose to do it or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance guys...

Attached Thumbnails

# 50 20-10-2003 , 02:15 PM
opps sorry for the hi rez, i know is suppose to be 640x480....

# 51 20-10-2003 , 03:37 PM
Subscriber
Looks cool. You've come a long way since the first post. I'd make the sky a bit more interesting (stars perhaps? a moon?) and also I don't think the moonlight casts so strong shadows, lighten them up a bit. Keep it up and good luck with the compositing (never mixed live video with cg myself).

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 52 20-10-2003 , 04:12 PM
Subscriber

imposing

With such an imposing castlejavascript:smilie(':bow:') one needs a grand gate with portcullis drawbridge.

dae

Attached Images

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 53 20-10-2003 , 04:46 PM
Subscriber
just like fredriksson mentioned you have come a long way. I personally think the castle, bridge and fire looks awesome but there is something that really bugs me about the rock (mountain) in the background. It seems to round and not enough edges.

Last edited by roach105; 20-10-2003 at 04:56 PM.
# 54 21-10-2003 , 01:19 AM
19 year Veteran
I also agree with the ( mountain ) comments. It does seem too round, but the for the over all, everything else looks fantastic! Keep up the fantastic work!

# 55 21-10-2003 , 10:52 AM
Hey tank. One little trick you might want to try is to render with an alpha channel without a background (sky) then composite one in later. Or use an image plane in the camera and put in a real sky. Would give the overall look of it a better quality.

Oh, and those torches are a bit to much. Tone down the flames a bit, they look like they're rageing fires when all they should be is dancing flames. user added image

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 56 21-10-2003 , 01:59 PM
Hi Guys!

Thanks for your comments I really need it the push since im learning as I go....thats why my updates aren't fast...

About the montains you guys r right I think i made a mistake smoothing the ground a lot (at least the montain....)

Now Im learnig how to:

1- Make a flag and make it move with the air effect....
2- Create a waterfall, Don't know if i have to use particles or Paint effects
3- create a fog not on the overall scene but in certain places like the bridge and around the area of he castle.

Does anyone knows a good tutorial to acomplish my previous items?

I really appreciate the help as always...

# 57 21-10-2003 , 02:14 PM

Originally posted by dave_baer
Hey tank. One little trick you might want to try is to render with an alpha channel without a background (sky) then composite one in later. Or use an image plane in the camera and put in a real sky. Would give the overall look of it a better quality.

Oh, and those torches are a bit to much. Tone down the flames a bit, they look like they're rageing fires when all they should be is dancing flames. user added image

user added image

Hey dave!

Can you expalin a little about using an image plane in the camera? sounds like a cool trick, if the camera move the image move with it? is this correct overall effect of an image in the camera? by the way where do you work? just curious...since your an animator etc...

As always Thanks for ur comments...:headbang:

# 58 21-10-2003 , 02:47 PM
tank, create a camera, then in the camera's attributes open the section ENVIRONMENT and click on the CREATE button where it says IMAGE PLANE. Then under IMAGE PLANE ATTRIBUTES, load the file of the sky you want to use. Make sure TYPE is set to IMAGE FILE. The image plane will be attached to the camera, so wherever you look you'll be looking at the same background image.

OR

Put the image as a texture on a modified cylinder or sphere. That way, if you move the camera to one side or another, you'll still see the background, but at different angles.

I'm not working anywhere right now. I'm freelancing. (that's the term we use instead of saying I'm a jobless scag!) :p

user added image

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 59 21-10-2003 , 03:06 PM
Thanks dave,

i was not far off then, i used a sphere and attach a dark sky( i know it doesn't look like I had one but it does hehehe)

someone said the money is in freelancing....if not ILM or Bungie

I will post my upadate ASAP

cheers!!!

# 60 23-10-2003 , 01:23 AM

Originally posted by tank2002

About the montains you guys r right

Now Im learnig how to:

1- Make a flag and make it move with the air effect....
2- Create a waterfall, Don't know if i have to use particles or Paint effects
3- create a fog not on the overall scene but in certain places like the bridge and around the area of he castle.

I really appreciate the help as always...

G'day tank

Cragy sharp spiky mountains are worth a shot, and they are lower poly as well.

about your flag, waterfall and fog. I think its good to learn the special effects tools in any program, I think it's also important to learn how to fake them. special effects tend to be render intensive and cpu intensive. if you ever have to work to a deadline they may interfere with your work flow.

some fakes:

flag- 1-2 animated lofted splines(maybe a latice)

waterfall/ fog planes(few polys) with animated texture,-[same with a volumetric lighting effect only the animated txture(noise) is in the self alumination slot]----did you see the waterfall in Ice age? about 5 planes with different textures.

you need to be a bit proficient with the hypergraph but the results can be better. because its geometry and textures the scene will hardly slowdown, and they render supa fast, if it's in the distance no one will ever notice.

just to say theres allways more than one way to skin a cat.

I'ts lookin fantastic bro!!!!!!! :bgreen:

xian user added image