Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 10-06-2004 , 01:18 AM

June - Noob - owmyi

Hi everyone. I'll be attempting to do a Giant Squid, or a Kraken. Not until after I had my heart set on doing a giant squid did I realize Frayo is already doing it, but he's in Norm so I guess it will be ok.
Anyways I've never used Sub-Ds and I'd really like to learn them so I'll be using them and see how it goes (hoping for a nice smooth squid). I did a quick concept sketch last night to kind of outline what I want him to look like. Myths have him being over a mile in length AND having horns. The picture may have too many horns on it. What do you guys think?

Attached Images
# 2 10-06-2004 , 02:05 AM
Subscriber
the more horns the better : )

# 3 10-06-2004 , 02:06 AM
Subscriber
oh and you should only have to build one of the legs..which is nice...i would suggest extrude face along a curve..then tapering the end

# 4 10-06-2004 , 02:38 AM
Thanks rubberkidney. The more I look at the pic the more I think he may not need *quite* as many horns (and the fact that they are a pain to model ). Somewhere from 2-3 rows should be enough. Also, I had forgoetten about those aerodynamic fins that squids have on the sides. I'll see if I can fit those in somewhere, too.

Right now I'm started working on the top head portion and it's going pretty smoothly. Sub-Ds just seem to be like super polygons thanks to the fact that I can swith back to polygon mode at anytime I want. Only trouble I've had is that I can't figure out how to 'un-refine' an area on the sub-d once I've refined it. Seems a waste to have a lot of accidental detail on the flat side of his head user added image

# 5 10-06-2004 , 07:19 AM
Quick update. Just finished the head portion. Now it's onto the lower head/eyes/tentacles part. Any thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 10-06-2004 , 08:55 AM
Subscriber
its looking pretty nice, i would like to see less symmetry with the horns though : ) pretty clean stuff though...cant wait to see the body

# 7 10-06-2004 , 07:58 PM
Alright here's what I've got for the body. The tentacles look kinda lame, but once they're rigged it'll be a lot cooler. Also I didnt model the suction cup things on each tentacle because I figured I could get pretty decent results just using a bump map/texture (not to mention how long it would take to model all those.)

Anyways.. Here's the pic while I move on to texturing.

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 11-06-2004 , 09:44 AM
cooool! user added image I like it user added image

-- Maya --
Pentium 4, Radeon 9800 Pro,
1,00 Ghz, 17 inch TFT
# 9 12-06-2004 , 09:33 AM
Here's what I have for the texturing so far. It's also my first attempt at Bump mapping, which I think came out pretty good *self-applaud*

What do you guys think? Any ideas?

Attached Thumbnails
# 10 12-06-2004 , 09:36 AM
Subscriber
Love the texture and the bump mapping, good job.

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 11 12-06-2004 , 04:02 PM
Woooooah

# 12 12-06-2004 , 08:27 PM
Thanks guys. Up next I'm gonna try and model something like a cruise liner. Then in the final comp I can have the squid sinking it user added image

# 13 12-06-2004 , 09:54 PM
Subscriber
Is the cruise liner going to look anything like your sketch? user added image

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 14 12-06-2004 , 11:49 PM
No. I want the cruise liner to be pretty big, like a Carnival Cruise ship, just to give you the overall feeling that the squid is huge. I'll post a sketch of what I want it to look like in a bit.

# 15 13-06-2004 , 01:09 PM
Ok here is my go at the Boat. I kinda ditched the cruise liner idea because finding good side/front views was being hard. Anyways I still think it will look really cool with this boat and some tweaking. The pic is the polygon and the Sub-D model. Which do you like more? I'm kinda leaning towards the Sub-D. Seems to have more character and a better connection with the look of the squid.

Attached Images