Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 22-06-2006 , 02:15 AM

weird display issue - can't figure out this simple display thing! Help!

Hi guys,

I'm posting in here coz i'm sure it is an easy noob question!

I can't for the life of me work out what i did to cause some of my geometry to retain it's sub-object cage after i deselect editing the object!!

https://img97.imageshack.us/my.php?image=subdcage2ef.jpg

The above link is a quick screen capture!

there is nothing selected yet their is a cage around one peace of my geometry! I can't find how to turn it off in any of the display options! When no objects are selected I only want to see my geometry and when I select the object I want to edit then select one of its Sub-object modes (verts, face, edge) then get the cage! When i click off then the cage should it not disappear? How can i get this back?

Any help would be great! Much appreciated.

Regards,
Nick.

# 2 23-06-2006 , 09:46 PM
right click on your subD geometry. here you got to options - one at a time - either standard or polygon. right now you are in polygon mode.

I guess.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 3 24-06-2006 , 07:59 AM
Yeah that’s right I am in Poly mode!

Why doesn't the mesh disappear when the object is not selected though?

# 4 24-06-2006 , 07:21 PM
because subD is not polygon like it is not a nurb. maya offers the possibility when modeling in subD mode to show a polygonal cage. it is a reference only. it is visible until you go back to standard mode. you might write a view lines of mel code and put it onto a hotkey to toggle visibility. or put the cage node onto a layer where you can also toggle visibility on and of.

everything starts and ends in the right place at the right time.
# 5 24-06-2006 , 10:43 PM
Ahh i see - i thought there may have been a pref option you could toggle on/off for it's display when not selected!

Mate, cheers for that - it was bugging me for sometime! I'll take the Mel option and hotkey it.

Thanks,
Nick.