Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 30-10-2008 , 11:50 PM
Subscriber

full body ik oddities

-Using Maya 2008-

I'm new to character animation and am experiencing some distortion in the character's hands when I start keyframing different poses. That is - when I start moving him around - his hands start to get HUGE or shrink. I've rigged him with a skeleton and using maya's preset full body IK. One of the weird things is - when I drag the boxes around his wrists - they'll pull his arm till it is fully stretched then the box will drag away from his wrist. I don't know what I've changed, but it used to work where when I'd grab the effector box around his wrist - it would eventually pull the entire model with it.

Help me out, here.

# 2 31-10-2008 , 08:59 PM
Subscriber
could you post a picture of the distortion happening...

also with the effector box's problem, i think it depends how your rig's setup is weather it pulls the root/entire body, or dislocates itself from its origin and stretches.

# 3 31-10-2008 , 09:07 PM
Subscriber
I've actually figured it out - it was a pinning problem. I'm still learning here.

Then again, seems like in this line of work - we're ALWAYS learning...

# 4 31-10-2008 , 09:24 PM
Subscriber
oh cool, glad you've sorted it out ...

Originally posted by Wittman
Then again, seems like in this line of work - we're ALWAYS learning...

definitely user added image