Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 18-04-2011 , 04:09 PM

camera weird problem

I have created a new camera but when i render it, the lightings in my scene changed(turned alot darker) but when i render it with my persp camera, everything turned up all right.

Is there any setting i need to change in the new camera or is it something else??

thanks

# 2 18-04-2011 , 05:29 PM
Super Moderator
A screen shot would help. But off the top of my head, you're probably using the physical sky setup and the sky isn't plugged into your new camera.

- Genny
# 3 19-04-2011 , 03:38 AM
So here's the screenshot

rendered with new camera( appear darker)
user added image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

rendered with persp camera(what i wanted)
user added image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

# 4 19-04-2011 , 09:11 AM
Hmmm, I think adding mental ray IBL lights sometimes automatically adds a lens shader that will do a gamma correction on your render you see the result as it should be (this is best practice and should allways be done when previewing renders in maya).

Maybe your liniear workflow script would help out here Gect?

If you look at the attribute editor under your persp camera in the mental ray tab. There should (or at least i think there should) be a lens shader attached to it. Look at this and the settings on it and replicate this on your new camera.

However if you just go to your new camera, add mental ray shader to the lens and choose the mia_exposure_simple and set the gamma on it to 2.2, this should give you a correct result in your render previews, and this is how you should judge your lighting in maya.

If you are going to composite your work after rendering though its usually best to render without the lens shader on and then do your gamma correction in comp.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 5 19-04-2011 , 02:43 PM
I managed to solve it. It seem to have something to do with the camera's background color. My persp camera has white as its bg color but the new cameras has black as it color which is the reason why the rendering looks darker.

Thanks for the replies though user added image

# 6 19-04-2011 , 08:16 PM
Super Moderator
Laurie, I was thinking that a lens shader may have been the case.

I really wouldn't have guessed it was the camera background as I usually try not to mess with the persp camera (maybe reduce close up distortion but that's about it).

- Genny