Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 07-08-2011 , 10:20 PM

RENDERING. how do i shorten render time?

i have 358 frames of animation to render, and its taken me 5hours to render 20 frames. i dont want to loose any resolution or take off raytracing as i will loose the quality of the aniamtion.

i have an alienware mx17. ii was wondering whether i had to upgrade a certian component to make rendering time shorter. its powered by a Dual Core2 Quad processor... do i need an upgrade by any chance?

please if anyone knows of any information on what components or processes to use to make rendering time shorter please let me know.

thanks user added image

Last edited by marcus2559; 07-08-2011 at 10:39 PM.
# 2 07-08-2011 , 10:43 PM
The Nurb Herd
there could be a bunch of reason as to why its taking ages.

# 3 07-08-2011 , 11:33 PM
Super Moderator
Software rendering is cpu intensive, though as Dom said, it could be that some settings are higher than need be or unfortunately, it could just take that long to get the quality you want. You can double check a few things.

Like sampling in the render settings and on the shaders and lights, you might find that per obj overrides for things like FG, GI AA etc could come in handy.

- Genny
# 4 07-08-2011 , 11:54 PM
You could try to employ level of detail (LOD). This is built into Maya from at least version 2009 and allows you to use three different models (hi-def, med-def, and low-def) which are selected automatically based on camera distance.

‪Level Of Detail Groups in Maya‬‏ - YouTube

A laptop is not the best of render engines and an MX17 does not even use a I7 core processor so you are prolly using a Q93xx quad core processor. Memory is also critical for rendering. 15 minutes a frame is pretty terrible though. How many polygons are in a typical frame?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675