Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 19-05-2012 , 11:17 AM

Combining meshes, bubbles in mesh.

I'm still trying to learn how to model a face, i've got some nice ones, but I've had to do them without combining 2 meshes together.

Problem 1:

When i get two "polysurfaces" (after modelling an eye, and one loop around the whole face with the create polygon tool) and when i go in my outliner, select polysurface 1+2, mesh - combine, then grab the vertices and do a merge, the new edge i've created seem to be very sharp. The vertexes are combines but you can clearly see that the edges are way to sharp when i go and soften my mesh.

Problem 2:

Always after i've "finished" modeling my face, I always seem to get theese annoying bubbles around his face, most often between the mouth - eye area, but also at random spots, like in the back of the head or something. Is this because of not being very enough careful?
I try to fix this by using the Paint-Sculpt tool, but I'm not a big fan of that tool.

Any sulotion on this?

Thanks!

PICS:

user added image
user added image

Last edited by Skalman; 19-05-2012 at 12:03 PM.
# 2 19-05-2012 , 11:34 AM
The thin red line
Could you show a picture and check you norms..................dave

# 3 19-05-2012 , 12:13 PM
I actually found out what the problem with combining the meshes is. If i turn around the eye that i have and if I try and merge the vertexes on the other side of the eye (just to experiment) and the vertexes merge's correctly.

How do i turn the normals of my eye? user added image

# 4 19-05-2012 , 12:20 PM
Normals - Reverse normals

That wasn't hard, problem 1 solved by myself! user added image

# 5 19-05-2012 , 12:55 PM
The thin red line
Were are the bubles...............dave

# 6 19-05-2012 , 01:02 PM
The sketchy mesh in pic. 1
It looks horrible. I want a clean mesh

# 7 19-05-2012 , 01:29 PM
The thin red line
You need to pull a lot of your mesh out a bit to get more form, the move tool with soft select on is good for this then after that select a area of verts that look lumpy and use average verts tool or the smooth brush..............dave