Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 17-01-2014 , 08:42 PM
Subscriber

cutting out a rectangle with rounded edges from a plane

hello all,

I've managed to do what I needed by using smooth, turning the cut out rectangle into one with rounded corners, as shown in the screenshot below, but the geometry doesn't really need smoothed, and I know there must be a better way to do this without resorting to using it

I've been watching tutorials on cutting out a circle from a plane, but for some reason get brain freeze when trying to cut out a round-edged rectangle,

if anyone has any suggestions to help melt my brain freeze I'd be really grateful,

thanks
Nicky

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 17-01-2014 , 09:45 PM
use bevel with multiple divisions on the edge loops in the corners.

# 3 17-01-2014 , 10:05 PM
Subscriber
hey mickhah, thanks, just tried that suggestion - how do i stop it from beveling the outer edge?

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 17-01-2014 , 10:37 PM
you can just delete those faces, use fill hole function and then add some edges, if needed.

# 5 18-01-2014 , 01:04 PM
Subscriber
got it now, had to delete that weird outer face then re-arrange the outside verts back into a rectangle - thank you!

Attached Thumbnails