Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 03-06-2004 , 09:36 PM
Dragon, would you do a free job just to gain experiance or build on your reel?

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 17 04-06-2004 , 12:13 AM
I do not have a job in the industry but everything I have heard is that you have to be honest with yourself. Look at your reel. Is it as good as others? If it is then it will not stand out. Is it better? If so how much better. I am in school right now and I learned to model before I went in. I have never tried to apply for a job in movies but I did in games a while back. I always heard " these are great Hi poly but do you have any low poly stuff we can see? I was to pig headed and never had any.

Not saying this is your case but I see all sorts not taking the demo reel seriously and only doing enough work to pass each class. At the end the students scramble to gather the highest end work of there remedial assignments that really does not show their talent. If your reel is not good then wait till it is. Be honest, do not add something in for filler. I heard it is OK to be short, no laghing, I am not talking about from women.

# 18 04-06-2004 , 10:13 AM
z1mond
Are you kidding on me?
No!, i have said it like a thousand times here annd in other threads, if youre going to get into a commercial company (wich dont forget its primary objective is making money) then you deserve something in return.

I´ve worked (project based, not stable jobs) as a cameraman/technician/maya operator without doing frist an internship... anyways finding a stable work on tv/cinema/games fields in spain is hard since 2002 when there were a lot of company fusions/adquisitions in those areas and loads of experienced and talented workers got fired...

If it were a non profit organization i would consider it based on the characteristics of the organization... for example if the situation arised i would doubtlessly try to charge money to greenpeace... but not for international amnisty, or medicus mundi,etc...

anyways i just got a temporary job as teller in a bank near my house... the pay is good enough and in madrid and in summer(madrid gets empty and almost turns into a ghost town, specially in august) i can predict that unless i get changed to another place with more movement ill get grooves on my balls of scratching em...(so i will be able to read on storytelling/screenwritting and c#/directx programming and study the last assignature of my BA career for september) and ill get the AC by the end of the month and maybe the ability to get (and pay some terms of) a loan for a car or for some expensive stuff i would need to make a good book for freelancing as advertising photographer, etc...

rick, learn to make normalmaps and try again , hi res modeling will be booming from now to the next two-three years as the minimum to average hard will support normalmapping (relatively fast) and everyone not including it on its engine will have to either make a damn good gameplay or eat its software

Last edited by dragonfx; 04-06-2004 at 11:44 AM.
# 19 04-06-2004 , 10:35 PM
Well, more fool you.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 20 04-06-2004 , 10:45 PM
Kevin
right - lets put this into perspective...

I had a friend, well classmate in GIT (guitar institute of tech) california, I personally was 10 x better then him at EVERYTHING that included a guitar.... from stringing it to playing jazz!

let I didnt get the 20 k / 3 week contract ...he did, yep a BIG % is luck and who you can convince. To be honest every single job I have ever walk into i have lied about, pretending I could do it.... I Learnt along the way, might mean some 20 hr days but its all the same. Life is like that....

Once you understand that things will be easier user added image

# 21 04-06-2004 , 10:53 PM
Haha, I am a mechical designer and that is the same way I have recieved jobs. You better be smart enough and have the drive to back up that BS though or else you will find out how small this world really is. That happened to a friend of mine.

# 22 04-06-2004 , 11:26 PM
user added image user added image user added image

# 23 04-06-2004 , 11:44 PM

Originally posted by RickStefani
Haha, I am a mechical designer and that is the same way I have recieved jobs. You better be smart enough and have the drive to back up that BS though or else you will find out how small this world really is. That happened to a friend of mine.

A smart guy would get someone else to back up the BS :p
It's called delegation user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 24 05-06-2004 , 12:49 AM
lol kb i can imagine it: a guy going arround asking for a job for him and and his underlinguser added image
err...(now i come to think about it it actually happens a lot...)

or even better:
he gets the money of the project and then tells someone else to do the grunt part of it because of the great training experience... nothing else... thankyou... user added image (and whats the best part of this story?)

Last edited by dragonfx; 05-06-2004 at 12:56 AM.