Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 19-08-2011 , 02:34 AM
@ bullet

Nice maya's granite, looks real. Yeah, the lighting is the issue. I used sun & sky, but I can not create the white granite, bcoz the white granite gets too bright, due the sun and sky light.

# 17 19-08-2011 , 02:37 AM
Lifetime Member
dont use sun and sky man....use an IBL....the sun is too bright and is a blanket light. Use a spotlight for shadows...then an IBL for the light...turn the colour gain down...play with the lights settings...

cheers bullet

P.S here is the last example...just playing with materials and lights

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes

Last edited by bullet1968; 19-08-2011 at 03:55 AM.
# 18 20-08-2011 , 04:25 AM
bullet , Your shader(maya materials) are ok but the scene is bit dark,

I tried ur suggestion. I think sun and sky is better, bcoz with the sun and sky you can get the right effect if you unlink the sun directional light to the ground and apply second light ( direction light) only to the floor or ground.

Guys I got bit dark burned edges around the stone's, do you know how do I get ride off this dark edges?
its blinn material with stone texture with sun and sky .

regards

Attached Thumbnails
# 19 20-08-2011 , 07:34 AM
Administrator
Those look like reflections from the ground plane to me. If you turn off reflections for your material you'll know for sure.

To get rid of them select the ground plane and in the shape node under render stats uncheck "visible in reflections".

# 20 20-08-2011 , 08:14 AM
Nah. its not reflection. I assign New lamber material to the floor with visible in reflection off, as you see in the below render image. I think, something to do with sun and sky . called lift edges, I don't exactly know, where this option is. But I remember, I changed somewhere. Im totally lost guys. Need help

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 20-08-2011 , 08:30 AM
Administrator
Have you tried changing the horizon height parameter for physical sun and sky to something negative?

Also I meant put the non-reflective material on the stones, not the ground plane. Your reflections are the ground and the sky, if you lower the horizon you'll only reflect the sky.

# 22 20-08-2011 , 11:57 AM
Super Moderator
I think its not just a matter of texture but the shader reflectivity settings and how well they play with the environment. The stones in the ref image have quite the blurry reflections going on. Also the white stone is probably not 100% white, its most likely bone or eggshell or any one of those, I don't think anything found in nature is blazing white. I'd recommend an mia_material if you're not using it already.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 23 20-08-2011 , 06:08 PM
@ mis nova.
you are right that was horizon high. well said, I bring down the horizon high and its better now.

@ Genny

Well done, Well what Can I say, just a word" you=brilliant"

let me try your suggestion (setting), you are very right, Mia Materials are great for this kind of stone and reflection can be set manually.

below image with low High horizon(-10)

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by dubai3d; 20-08-2011 at 06:12 PM.
# 24 20-08-2011 , 07:22 PM
@ Genny

What environment did you used for ur scene? what type of lighting?
right Now I'm using sun and sky with Gamma correction of 1.4 , lower high horizon, and bit more like tweaking,
I did what you suggest for mia-material and its look perfect, the only thing left is environment.

I would like to know what is ur setting for the environment, if you don't mind. Im really into that spa stone and it has a lot of thing to learn from.

best regards

# 25 20-08-2011 , 07:23 PM
latest update

Attached Thumbnails
# 26 20-08-2011 , 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

@ Genny

What environment did you used for ur scene? what type of lighting?
right Now I'm using sun and sky with Gamma correction of 1.4 , lower high horizon, and bit more like tweaking,
I did what you suggest for mia-material and its look perfect, the only thing left is environment.

I would like to know what is ur setting for the environment, if you don't mind. Im really into that spa stone and it has a lot of thing to learn from.

best regards

Its the physical sky and I placed the sun at a low angle. There's a photographic lens on the camera and I gamma corrected the textures and swatches using a script I made, and that's it.

- Genny
# 27 20-08-2011 , 10:38 PM
is that possible(if) to share this script? so we can learn from your scripting skill?
That would be great.

best regards

# 28 21-08-2011 , 12:04 AM
Super Moderator
It's been freely available for a while now PMM Linear Lighting Buddy ( I should put it in my sig). I used it to teach myself MEL.

- Genny
# 29 21-08-2011 , 01:39 AM
thanks genny. Is it working with mac osx maya 2012 ? It looks Great script, I will try this script
regards

Last edited by dubai3d; 21-08-2011 at 02:21 AM.
# 30 21-08-2011 , 02:44 AM
Super Moderator
I never tested it on a Mac but I don't see why it shouldn't.

- Genny