Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 18-05-2012 , 02:30 PM
Lifetime Member
The UV linking is still set up to link the default UV set (map1) to file1 instead of linking uvSet_test to file1. Go Windows->Relationship Editors->UV Linking-> UV Centric and assign file1 to uvSet_test.

Alternatively you can in the UV editor select the UVs in uvSet_test and copy them to map1. (Polygons->Copy UVs to UV Set->map1)

Question: Any specific reason for using multiple UV sets?

# 17 18-05-2012 , 02:32 PM
Ah, that would explain it. Best to stick to one UV set unless you have a reason for anymore, maybe it was created in error?

# 18 18-05-2012 , 02:44 PM
The thin red line
Well spotted Pixal, another way to fix it is just delete UVs then reproject.............dave

# 19 18-05-2012 , 04:50 PM
Thanks for looking. Unfortunately I tried this and still get the same results. Is there something I'm meant to do when I open the UV editor that confirms the process as currently all I do is open it up to see that a UV mesh appears there. I don't click anything else. It feels like I'm not doing anything and then I throw a texture on it and expect it to work. There must be a step I'm missing.

Edit_ I didn't see the other responses before I wrote this.

There's no reason for multiple UV sets, that's just me fumbling. I need to go now and look at what you guy's have written.

Last edited by djwaterman; 18-05-2012 at 04:54 PM.
# 20 18-05-2012 , 05:04 PM
Yay! (I think) I'll report back, don't want to trumpet success until I'm sure it's totally working.

# 21 18-05-2012 , 05:53 PM
While the UV'd texture seems sorted, and all looks good in the open GL, when I render I get unsmoothed edges.

user added image

Sometimes it feels like Maya wants to fight you every step of the way, solve one issue and face another straight up. What's going on now does anyone know?

# 22 18-05-2012 , 05:57 PM
The thin red line
your using maya software change to mental ray............dave

# 23 18-05-2012 , 06:33 PM
Thanks, seems I hadn't loaded the Mentalray plugin.

Firstly let me say to everyone who helped, thanks for taking time out of your lives to show me things I would never have discovered myself. This is a sometime painful journey for me, but discovery and your help gets me over the pain. I really enjoy learning these things and ever so slowly getting more comfortable in Maya.

# 24 18-05-2012 , 06:59 PM
EduSciVis-er
Just to expand on Dave's comment, maya software has never supported rendering the smooth preview (you actually need to smooth the geo). Mental ray added support for that in 2008 or 9 or something.