Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 01-08-2013 , 11:02 PM
Lifetime Member
Hey all, I'm a bit stuck at the moment with my rendering so I've been having a play around in zbrush.

Got a great book called 'Introducing zbrush' by Eric Keller and it's proving really helpful. I'd recommend it to anyone starting out in zbrush, it will save you pulling out your hair.user added image

Anyway, here's a dragon's head that I've made by following a project in the book.

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 02-08-2013 , 09:59 AM
Lifetime Member
Nice, I hate Zbrushes interface...its all arse about Im sorry LOL

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 18 04-08-2013 , 11:17 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi all, just to let you know, Jay has solved my rendering problem so you can expect more updates soon.

# 19 06-08-2013 , 09:27 PM
Lifetime Member
Got another question. I've done my modelling in zbrush and changed my character quite drastically, but how do these changes get back to my character in maya? Do I have to somehow be reimporting this into maya to do my rendering on?

Cheers the Yeti

# 20 09-08-2013 , 01:28 AM
Lifetime Member
Hmmm, tricky question. Anyone have any ideas how to do this?

I'm starting to think that I need to use the plugin GoZ, does this sound right?

Cheers the Yeti

# 21 10-08-2013 , 10:48 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
if you have changed it drastically, just export a new obj for the character and/or the clothing

J

# 22 11-08-2013 , 10:04 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi, thanks for helping me.user added image What resolution should I be importing back into maya at? Are there any hard and fast rules or does it change from project to project?

The first two pictures are at resolution 2.

The next two pictures at resolution 6. This is picking up all the creases and wrinkles which I think is a lot of overkill as I could just use a bump map for that.

Attached Thumbnails
# 23 12-08-2013 , 08:29 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Res 6 is a bit extreme

Level 1 is usually fine is you are using displacements for the character, 2 should be more than enough though

J

# 24 12-08-2013 , 10:05 AM
Lifetime Member
Awesome, I felt that level 2 seemed to cover my needs amply. Just wanted to make sure that their wasn't going to be any down side to using it. I'm nearly finished rendering my guy out then I'll post a couple of pics when I'm done.

Thanks for your help and a great series, I've thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to having a shot at the rigging section.

Cheers, the Yeti.

# 25 13-08-2013 , 09:26 PM
Lifetime Member
Alright! Finished my rendering!user added image I'm really happy with how it all turned out, but any crits are welcome.

Cheers, the Yeti.

Attached Thumbnails