Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 31 18-06-2004 , 12:53 AM
Subscriber
you should do it vertically
half of the shot underwater half of the shot out...like this:

| |
| |
| |
------
| |
| |
| |

hope that makes sense : )

# 32 18-06-2004 , 12:55 AM
Ooh thats a good idea chicken, thanks! I'll definitely try it. Have any idea on how to make the bottom part foggy/murkier? I'm thinking some sort of light with fog on it but I'm not sure how that will work. Oh well, i'll try it anyways. Thanks again.

# 33 18-06-2004 , 12:57 AM
Subscriber
kidney : ) and ill have to think about how to do that...i have some ideas but im steping out the door at the moment....you might have to render in passes and composit it for the final...

# 34 18-06-2004 , 05:25 AM
Doh, sorry *kidney*. Thanks again for your input.

# 35 18-06-2004 , 07:57 AM
Subscriber
Lol, so many rubbers in this world user added image

Watch Space Wars at www.3dden.co.uk now!

My pin number is XXXX
# 36 21-06-2004 , 08:57 AM
Ok, I finally got some ocean waves that I'm happy with. Took a lot of tinkering, but I finally got it. I learned alot while doing it, though, so I guess it was worth the while.

I leave for California in.... ooh 11 hours so I better hurry up and get some final renders out. Here's the water. Almost there!!

Attached Images
# 37 21-06-2004 , 10:41 AM
Subscriber
Nice water but it looks a tad dark.

My pin number is XXXX
# 38 21-06-2004 , 11:44 AM
Thanks for the reply 'Chicken" (I got it right user added image ). Yeah, the water did look a little dark in that shot, but I've been doing the final lights and what not for the past 3-4 hours ( Go-go procrastination!) and all I have left is to render the final shot and then do a bit of post-effects. Wish me luck. I'm running on about 20 hours with no sleep and have to drive to Cali. in 7 hours.

Final Shots coming soon.

# 39 21-06-2004 , 12:12 PM
Subscriber
Well good luck, hope you manadge to finish.
BTW its not a good idea to drive after 20 hours of no sleep... user added image

My pin number is XXXX
# 40 21-06-2004 , 01:02 PM
Hooooray! I finished!!!

Before I post the final images (2) I'd just like to thank everyone for all there encouraging words (especially 'the rubbers', rubberchicken and rubberkidney) The comments really help you stay motivated long after you've grown bored of a project. I had no idea how much I was going to learn by entering. Now I have a decent grasp of Sub-Ds and a broad new understanding of Texturing and Bump Mappiong (which I had to learn from scratch). Also, the little things like having to figure out how to make the ocean turned out to be a big deal which, in my own opinion, turned out terrific.

Now I'm off to bed so as I can get a *little* sleep before the drive. Anyways, thanks again to everyone and I wish everyone the best of luck on their projects.

ooookay! Not sure if I can submit two final images, but I believe I heard Mike say it's ok once so I figure I'll go with that. Here's number 1:

Attached Thumbnails
# 41 21-06-2004 , 01:07 PM
And number 2:

Attached Thumbnails
# 42 21-06-2004 , 01:36 PM
Subscriber
I like it good work! Final product looks very cool!

My pin number is XXXX
# 43 22-06-2004 , 05:28 AM
Subscriber
awesome stuff..i can tell you learned a lot : ) the bump map on the top of the squid is quite nice...i like the bottom shot better, you should have added some murkyness in photoshop...i dont know if photoshop touchups are allowed though : )

# 44 29-06-2004 , 03:57 AM
Subscriber
good luck!
its a very nice concept that you executed very well. Even in a few months, you can go back on it to add details (water splash from the tentacle and boat, etc..) and it will still be a fun scene to work on. I wish all model were presented in such a cinematic scene!