Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 31 27-07-2005 , 06:33 AM

mmm

Hubba hubba.This is looking really good.Nice model.

# 32 31-07-2005 , 08:38 PM

working on textures and hair

Just an update...working on textures and hair.. haven't had much time recently soon I will have a rough of the environment.
This hair isn't finished just the general shape. No self-shadowing or anything yet.

Attached Thumbnails
# 33 03-08-2005 , 07:24 PM

Setting

Here is a "quick" drawing of the setting. I know I'm not the best at drawing.. lol.. anyways you get the idea. It's going to be more of a swamp instead of a briar/forest. A Swamp seems more scary to me. I'm not sure about the moon or background I may blur it out and make it just darkness. Hopefully I will be able to make a water layer.. a mist layer above that and maybe some slimy stuff coming off the creature as it emerges from the swamp. I still need to finish texture mapping both characters.. which is taking me forever so far. They both have their UV's layed out. Laying out the monster's UV's was true fear and loathing..heh. I need to rig them both and do a few blendshapes for the girl. I may make a weapon (a mace or sceptre) for the girl that has fallen just out of her grasp if I have time.

Any comments, criticism or questions are always welcome.

Peace,

mayafreak3

Attached Thumbnails
# 34 03-08-2005 , 07:45 PM

I know I'm not the best at drawing..

Hey, at least you're getting the idea across. And that's not bad drawing at all. It would take me half a pencil to draw like that, if you know what I mean. user added image

A dark misty forest also seems like a good setting. Also ,seeing how the girl looks elven, she should probably hold a scepter of some kind.

I also had an idea:
You could have the monster reeling her in by the legs, and have her desperately reaching out for the scepter, although it's just out of reach.

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.

Last edited by Shadeblade; 03-08-2005 at 07:48 PM.
# 35 03-08-2005 , 07:53 PM

Thank you for your comments. user added image I was thinking a sceptre would be cool too. I'll see what I can come up with. She does look like an elf. I'm having tons of fun creating this. user added image

mayafreak3

# 36 07-08-2005 , 07:07 AM

update

still doing some textures.. added eyelashes.. bump maps and some tweaks here and there... I'll be working on the monster soon and modeling the scene objects.

Attached Thumbnails
# 37 07-08-2005 , 07:13 AM

also..

going to switch to mental ray for rendering.. but i'm unfamiliar with it and having some probs getting my stuff to render.. fur/hair and also some textures.. are just not right..

peace out,

mayafreak3

# 38 07-08-2005 , 11:54 AM
Looking great, can't wait to see the final scene!

# 39 07-08-2005 , 04:45 PM

Rig?

A lot of people create the model with arms outward, in the standard T position, but are you going to rig this model and then position it to how you want it, or are you going to move CVs?

# 40 08-08-2005 , 04:27 PM

rigging

I will make a custom rig in maya. I modeled it in T-position for ease of rigging. I highly recommend the dwrigging tools .mel scripts for rigging. They speed up some repetitive tasks and allow you to make your rig however you want with no limitations. You can then create your own custom control objects. I'll post a shot of the rigs I make if you would like to see them. The girl is gonna be rigged pretty quick because she is a standard bipedal type. The monster is going to be even faster ... basically just a spine and jaw (maybe just a spine... and I'll blendshape the jaw). Not sure yet. Most likely I will make a jaw rig for blendshapes, but leave the jaw bone out of the actual rigs. So.. there you have it. user added image

mayafreak3

# 41 08-08-2005 , 06:26 PM

MonsterwithTextures

Heres the monster with textures. Starting the rigging/blendshapes next.

Attached Thumbnails
# 42 08-08-2005 , 06:29 PM

Sideview

I altered him to make him asymmetrical. I will do the same for the princess. Here is a sideview.

Attached Thumbnails
# 43 08-08-2005 , 06:50 PM

closeup details

some details I added to the princess.. bumpmapped lips and worked on the eyes. I doubt the camera will be close enough for detail.. so I'm not going to mess with it anymore.

Attached Thumbnails
# 44 08-08-2005 , 08:34 PM

head rig for blendshapes

here is the rig I'm using for blendshapes

Attached Thumbnails
# 45 08-08-2005 , 08:43 PM

fear & loathing

Working on the fear look as I type this..will post it later tonight. Going to do 2 blendshapes for the eyebrows and then 1 shape for mouth. I made teeth and a tongue for her also.