Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 61 08-12-2005 , 08:00 AM
Been busy at work, so I haven't had time to work on the challenge the last couple of days. I'm going to finish the modeling this weekend, and then spend the next two weeks rendering. This render is an extremely quick color render, with no time spent on textures or the environment. It's dark and generally ugly looking. Plus it was rendered at very low settings for speed. Regardless, I did it just to see how close to getting a real photo image I was getting, and even at this low quality I'm fairly happy about the look. Once I spend time on the textures and rendering settings, I think this will be my most photorealistic project yet.

Attached Thumbnails
# 62 08-12-2005 , 10:05 AM
Wow, this is really awesome Dilberts. Looking forward to the many great renderings to come user added image

# 63 09-12-2005 , 12:03 PM
19 year Veteran
Are you using object based lighting for the light source?

# 64 09-12-2005 , 11:49 PM
For this render it was just simply a matter of making the camera environment white. I also added a reflection plane above the bike, but that was it. Like I said, it was just a quick test render to see where I was at.

# 65 10-12-2005 , 08:16 PM
Couldn't resist messing with a render for a bit. Still gotta finish up the modeling though. The compositing needs some work, but I'm reasonably happy so far.

Attached Thumbnails
# 66 10-12-2005 , 08:31 PM
Slightly nicer composite

Attached Thumbnails
# 67 10-12-2005 , 08:32 PM
Subscriber
great job dil.
i think maybe a different hdri, the chrome effect on the bike is slightly lost making it look plastic "ish" and too brown.
not really anything else to say but brilliant. just a small matter of try diff hdr's user added image
good luck!

# 68 10-12-2005 , 08:43 PM
You're right, I haven't picked the nicest HDRI yet. I have to decide on the final render shot before I pick the final HDRI. All the textures are really rushed right now, but I have time to edit them.

Here's an artsy black and white for fun.user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 69 10-12-2005 , 09:13 PM
Need some opinions. Can't decide to go with a studio style render for the final challenge, or a picture composite. I like studio renders for their clean reflection lines, but composite renders have more "interesting" reflections and can look very real with a bit of workk. I'll probably do both if time permits, however, I'm going to be rendering four views of the bike to show the detail on both sides (sucks that bikes aren't symmetrical :headbang: ), and with at least 8 render layers for each view, that would be 64 seperate render passes. And that doesn't include shadow passes. user added image Right now, each pass is taking about 11 minutes at low quality settings at 640x480, so once I bump up the resolution and Final Gather Rays it's going to be a rendering nightmare.

# 70 10-12-2005 , 09:21 PM
Subscriber
hey i know how u feel about wanting to show as much detail as u can,(with multiple renders) i feel the same, some much work in certain areas. but i think Mike knows how much detail you are..Or anyone has put into each peice by looking at our threads. i think a basic scene is your best bet yeah, but in order to make your peice close to realism i think less emphasis on the actual model would be the path to go, i have been doing trying that in some test renders this week with my model.
Hope this gives u a different option to toy with for your final render user added image
Simon.

# 71 11-12-2005 , 12:23 AM
Just rushed off a quick studio style render. There's no shadows, and I had some of the pipes assigned to the wrong render layer, but it gives an idea of what a studio render will look like. I think I'll have to add a couple of regular lights with this set up because it's just too dark in places.

Attached Thumbnails
# 72 11-12-2005 , 12:33 PM
Subscriber
hey man great work, but you should add dirt on places, the chrome shaded objects are too clean,. if ya add dirt, it will be kick ass!

Aim:Nshad BB Court
msn:nothinbutchains@hotmail.com
# 73 12-12-2005 , 07:49 PM
Subscriber
Looks awesome. One thing your composits are missing is kick stand for your motorcycle. It would fall over otherwise user added image

# 74 14-12-2005 , 05:19 AM
OK, the modeling is complete. I added all the little stuff like foot rests, kickstand, wing mirrors etc. Every little nut and bolt is modeled, and all that's left is to apply the displacement map for the treads. Now I can concentrate on the renders.

Last night I actually did a high resolution render of just the main engine part using my nicest HDRI, 500 Final Gather Rays, and 10 reflections and refractions. It took 3 hours and 40 minutes to render, but looked exactly how I wanted it to. The entire bike will probably take about 12+ hours to render, so I'm going to stop posting updates until I have the final product. It'll be a surprise user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 75 14-12-2005 , 03:01 PM
Subscriber
looks real good dilbert, 10/10

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk