Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 76 16-08-2005 , 07:55 PM
A sword entering the beasts mouth would make me feel much more comfortable....Nice work mate.Retaliation.

# 77 17-08-2005 , 12:14 AM
Subscriber
not sure how difficult it would be, but maybe some slobber on the beast jaws?

I had initially thought the face looked a little odd, but as it's being viewed from a rear angle it works out well.

Look forward to the finish.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 78 17-08-2005 , 12:32 AM
Subscriber
Looking pretty PRETTY D@rn Good!
Nice Female, model too... how you do the hair?
user added image

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep - Scott Adams"

<b>Toxic Bunny</b>
# 79 17-08-2005 , 03:25 PM

Originally posted by Angalid
awesome body on the female.

MF > Thanks Angalid user added image

Originally posted by Shadeblade
Whoa! That's awesome! You can almost put yourself in her place and feel her fear! user added image

MF > Many Thanks Shadeblade user added image

Originally posted by shaneH
A sword entering the beasts mouth would make me feel much more comfortable....Nice work mate.Retaliation.

MF > Thanks shaneH, I have modeled a sceptre for her, so she has some defense against the monster now. user added image

Originally posted by mhcannon
not sure how difficult it would be, but maybe some slobber on the beast jaws?

I had initially thought the face looked a little odd, but as it's being viewed from a rear angle it works out well.

Look forward to the finish.

MF > Thanks, mhcannon nice comments. I've struggled with her facial expression alot.. The fear blendshape I made for her kind of makes her look like a hag.. lol. Anyway I changed it a bit and de-emphasized the over exaggerrated look. As far as Slobber goes.. that would be very cool I'm not sure if I have the knowledge to do it yet. If I can do it in time I will. user added image

Originally posted by Toxic Bunny
Looking pretty PRETTY D@rn Good!
Nice Female, model too... how you do the hair?
user added image

Thanks Toxic Bunny. The hair is made with the maya hair system. I use UV sets to define where it goes. Once I have placed the character I run the hair simulation and it bounces into place. I'm trying to give it kind of an "action" feel..like she is in movement.

---
Thanks for the comments all user added image
Here is the latest incarnation with sceptre.

Unsure about the lighting.. any comments on how to improve it would be great. user added image

mayafreak3

# 80 17-08-2005 , 03:27 PM

update

Attached Thumbnails
# 81 18-08-2005 , 06:10 PM

trying different shots

another attempt at lighting, I reduced the point light and added decay and falloff to the fog on it. Also worked on the hair and lighting the monster.. I'm still not happy with it tho.

Attached Thumbnails
# 82 18-08-2005 , 11:07 PM
This angle is also very good, except that her hair is bit too Medusa-Sombrero-like. The lighting, in my opinion, is very good, but maybe you should make the light emanating from her sceptre more visible against the surfaces, such as the monsters skin, or her own skin.

Nobody felt like avenging your death. Sorry.
# 83 19-08-2005 , 05:04 PM
Subscriber
I liked the previous view better as it put the view more in the scene along with the characters. This one make you more of an observer.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 84 19-08-2005 , 06:09 PM

feedback

Originally posted by Shadeblade
This angle is also very good, except that her hair is bit too Medusa-Sombrero-like. The lighting, in my opinion, is very good, but maybe you should make the light emanating from her sceptre more visible against the surfaces, such as the monsters skin, or her own skin.

Cool, thanks for the input. I have been working on the hair and ya, that was kind of a wild position there.. I don't like it either. Good point on the sceptre I will increase the light and maybe adjust the other lights to compensate.
MF

Originally posted by mhcannon
I liked the previous view better as it put the view more in the scene along with the characters. This one make you more of an observer.

Thanks mhcannon, good point. I agree completely.
MF

Thanks for the helpful comments! and BTW

I have been doing some test renders in Mental Ray.. but because Mental Ray does not support the PFX Hair I either have to convert it to Polygons.. which leads to Maya crashing because of the 600,000 polygons it generates lol, or I have to composite the hair and do a render pass(which is what I may end up doing). I have read that Mental Ray has a hair geometry primitive but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to set this up. It says in the guide when you search on hair geometry that this new primitive in mental ray should render extremely fast. I've scoured this site.. and all the sites I know of on the web. If anyone knows of a tutorial..or how to set up hair to render directly in Mental Ray without conversion to poly's I'd be very greatful.

Mayafreak3

# 85 19-08-2005 , 06:53 PM
Do it in Maya.
7 Point lights probably wont take as much time as MR.
i;m a fa n of MR
Truth is It Took me 5 Hours to render my scene,because of MR.
Shane

# 86 26-08-2005 , 07:20 PM
very nice scene! I like the monster, really cooluser added image And I have to say your female character has a nice ass:p

Good luck to youuser added image

# 87 28-08-2005 , 03:21 PM

Originally posted by vedic kings
very nice scene! I like the monster, really cooluser added image And I have to say your female character has a nice ass:p

Good luck to youuser added image

Hehe thanks vedic user added image

I got bogged down with work so I haven't changed the scene much yet. (gotta make money) I will be posting some more images here over the next few days.

peace out,

mayafreak3