Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 29-05-2005 , 07:09 PM
Subscriber

IK arm funky problem

I have a human bi-ped character, with an IK arm setup. I have done the IK w arm controllers on both arms, the left one is working just fine, but when I get to my characters right arm - it's not working: When you grab the right arm control and translate it one way or another, the arm flips upside down?!?!?! I have made a dozen attempts to try to fix it, but everything I done makes it either does nothing or breaks the rig altogether.

I am going to have to delete the IK arm setup in order to fix this problem?

help!

Thanks in advance,
Phil

# 2 30-05-2005 , 07:58 PM
Subscriber

Hmmm

Hi,
I am very new to using the animation tools, so it's just a guess..... (Disclaimer here - lol) but i am wondering if you have 'mirrored' the model's arm and something has inverted too, something similar happened to me recently while attempting Mike's rigging tutorial, I had problems but did not get as far as moving all the joints, so I really don't know if it's the same problem, maybe not, maybe something similar?
I think I would try selecting various parts of the 'arm' and look to see if the axis of vertices/selection handles etc are pointing 180 degrees out from the rest of body or other arm.

I would have thought that it could be sorted out by selecting whatever, and rotating, so don't give up just yet, I'm sure someone here will know.

Good luck Scraggy

# 3 30-05-2005 , 08:36 PM
Subscriber
If you select your joints and go into component mode and then select miscellaneous. You can change the Z,Y and X location for every joint and change it, so that everything is pointing at the right direction.