Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 24-05-2012 , 10:25 AM

extrude question

I think I may be on the cusp of discovering one of the reasons why I find Maya modelling so difficult.. I just need clarification....

If I select a few faces to extrude; so select them, then press the extrude icon.. then I decide for whatever reason I don't want to perform that operation (extra faces selected usually) and I press Q or whatever to exit the tool (mode?) .. has that extrude operation been executed, even though I haven't moved or scaled it..?

if this is the case it'll go a good way to explaining why I always end up with umpteen verts or edges slap over the top of each other...

thanks

# 2 24-05-2012 , 10:40 AM
Yes, it will create new geometry as soon as you run the tool, whether you move it or not.

# 3 24-05-2012 , 10:55 AM
The thin red line
Press control "Z" to undo..............dave

# 4 24-05-2012 , 12:27 PM
EduSciVis-er
Also, if you extrude and move the faces out or something, you'll have to hit undo TWICE. Once to undo the move, and once to undo the extrude operation, even though it looks like you've removed the extrude with the first undo.

# 5 24-05-2012 , 02:02 PM
If you do create an extrude and can no longer undo (Z-key), then just select all the verts and do a merge with a very small tolerance or select mesh > cleanup and check non-uniform, laminar faces, faces with zero area, and edges with zero length.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 6 24-05-2012 , 09:09 PM
thank heavens for that! it seems a bit silly on autodesk's part to have the operation perform with no visual indication, but at least now I know how to deal with it, and why I always end up in such a mess! =S

I wonder how many other new-comers struggle with this? I've never seen it documented anywhere, not clearly anyway.

thanks for all the tips!

@ctbram - I use merge a lot on troublesome verts - does it remove duplicate edges too? ie. can I confidently be assured that I've no rogue edges after merging verts...

# 7 24-05-2012 , 10:45 PM
@ctbram - I use merge a lot on troublesome verts - does it remove duplicate edges too? ie. can I confidently be assured that I've no rogue edges after merging verts...[/QUOTE]

For the most part yes but the best way to ensure the removal of zero length edges is to use mesh > cleamup and check remove edges with zero length and faces with zero surface area.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 8 24-05-2012 , 10:48 PM
right, thanks. I'm well on my way to taming my geometry now user added image - only two years down the line!