Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 17-11-2011 , 11:06 PM
EduSciVis-er
Hey that's looking loads better already. Keep it up!

# 17 17-11-2011 , 11:10 PM
The thin red line

Ah, yes. I see now, and then I'll just continue the other loop from under the eye and it will be all quads.

Is that loop under the eye good? Or it shouldn't be there?

You need to move it down, just look at some one the eye socket they extend a lot down..............dave

Last edited by daverave; 17-11-2011 at 11:17 PM.
# 18 17-11-2011 , 11:16 PM
Noober than noob

Hey that's looking loads better already. Keep it up!

Yeah, it's like a game. X)
Though I hope I don't mess up by adding loops that don't belong. Because I can see a few spots that could use some more loops to make the head rounder.
I also check HD mode to see how it looks and sometimes mirror, so I can tell there's still a lot of work to do to make it look the way I want.
Back looks like a walnut or something right now.

You need to move it down, just look at some one the eye socket they extend a lot down..............dave

Ok, I moved it. It's supposed to be that bag under the eye, right?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by SilverFeather; 17-11-2011 at 11:24 PM.
# 19 17-11-2011 , 11:21 PM
The thin red line
You have some of topligy there now. its up to you to move it around to make a face.........dave

Last edited by daverave; 17-11-2011 at 11:23 PM.
# 20 17-11-2011 , 11:32 PM
Noober than noob

You have some of topligy there now. its up to you to move it around to make a face.........dave

Thank you so much!
I'll see where I can add more loops for details. I'll also have to edit the nose and lips a bit, they look too weird by HD view.
And about the eyelids: Do I have to extrude them even further? Or are they ok in current state? I also have a tear duct there, just that it's kind of small.
I still don't know how to work on the eyebrows though, must they be extruded or shaped in some way?

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 18-11-2011 , 11:59 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

You have some of topligy there now.

Ahh, great! I hope I don't get it now I've viewed this post! user added image

@SilverFeather:

I wouldn't worry too much about the eye brows just yet, I would concentrate on getting the forms of your head nailed. Are you using reference planes for this? It might be a good idea just until you get the basic shape and proportions down. As you're going for a cartoon look, even if you don't use reference planes to fully define your mesh, you can at least use them to see how the different forms of the face are shaped, and how they relate to one another.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 22 18-11-2011 , 12:33 PM
Noober than noob

Ahh, great! I hope I don't get it now I've viewed this post! user added image

@SilverFeather:

I wouldn't worry too much about the eye brows just yet, I would concentrate on getting the forms of your head nailed. Are you using reference planes for this? It might be a good idea just until you get the basic shape and proportions down. As you're going for a cartoon look, even if you don't use reference planes to fully define your mesh, you can at least use them to see how the different forms of the face are shaped, and how they relate to one another.

I tried to use a reference image that I've found online, but it wasn't good enough to fit on the planes for side and front view same time.
I've modeled the side using one of those planes, but could only do it for the forehead, nose, mouth as the back of the head wasn't illustrated.
Any idea where I can find better references?

Also, the character has to look like he's somewhat lazy and clumsy (similar to my first attempt which wasn't round enough).

# 23 18-11-2011 , 12:54 PM
The thin red line
Should have said some edge flow not topligy. Going to have to stop helping you so much to get on with my own stuff, I hope you are starting to get the idea...........dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 24 18-11-2011 , 12:57 PM
Noober than noob

Should have said some edge flow not topligy. Going to have to stop helping you so much to get on with my own stuff, I hope you are starting to get the idea...........dave

Ok, thank you. I'll look for the rest of the triangles. Good luck with your work.

# 25 18-11-2011 , 10:51 PM
Noober than noob
How convenient to have Cleanup tool to point out the problem areas.
Too bad I didn't think of using it sooner. Lol.

Well, according to the Cleanup tool, they're all quads now except for the base, where I want to extrude the neck later once I'll be done with the face and rounding up the head.

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images

Last edited by SilverFeather; 18-11-2011 at 11:33 PM.
# 26 19-11-2011 , 08:13 AM
The thin red line
Thats looking a lot better now you need to get the form better I would do as Mayaniac suggested...........dave

# 27 19-11-2011 , 12:03 PM
Noober than noob

Thats looking a lot better now you need to get the form better I would do as Mayaniac suggested...........dave

I would too if I can find a good reference image. The ones I have now are near useless.

And how do people make the ears? I used to make them with extrude out of the mesh, but I saw some making a hole in the mesh and then modeling the ear separately before connecting it to the mesh. Which way is better?

# 28 19-11-2011 , 08:56 PM
This is lookin much better. As for the ref just google image search in the large category "3d.sk" and you will find something. I just did and found a front and side profile of some chick that a dude put next to his model. Chop it out and make the imageplanes. The only thing I can figure to make the flow better is to add a edgeflow that goes with the contour of the jaw and up the side near the front of the ear and loops to the forehead. This isn't necessary but helps when doing my facial animation and gives the possibility for targeted flow later on.

Also keeping the eye loops contained would reduce the amount of edges going over the nose. Just loop extrude outwards. The eye should have about 8 polys coming out from it and extruding. 2 for the edges and 3 for bottom and top. Now that I think about it ZBrushWorkshops has a 90 minute video solely on topology in ZBrush which would help you understand topology much better. It is free. All you have to do is sign up for the email. Watch that and I am sure you would understand the flow much better. He does drawovers showing the different loops and why they are there. Hope that helps...

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Chavfister; 19-11-2011 at 09:02 PM.
# 29 19-11-2011 , 09:34 PM
Noober than noob

This is lookin much better. As for the ref just google image search in the large category "3d.sk" and you will find something. I just did and found a front and side profile of some chick that a dude put next to his model. Chop it out and make the imageplanes. The only thing I can figure to make the flow better is to add a edgeflow that goes with the contour of the jaw and up the side near the front of the ear and loops to the forehead. This isn't necessary but helps when doing my facial animation and gives the possibility for targeted flow later on.

Also keeping the eye loops contained would reduce the amount of edges going over the nose. Just loop extrude outwards. The eye should have about 8 polys coming out from it and extruding. 2 for the edges and 3 for bottom and top. Now that I think about it ZBrushWorkshops has a 90 minute video solely on topology in ZBrush which would help you understand topology much better. It is free. All you have to do is sign up for the email. Watch that and I am sure you would understand the flow much better. He does drawovers showing the different loops and why they are there. Hope that helps...

I'll check for that then thanks.
Indeed, I will try to form the jawbone better, just hope I can do that without messing up something.
I don't really know about the ear, does this mean I'll have to form the ear shape with the available loops or will more loops be required?

I'm not quite sure I understand the loop extrude part. Does that mean I'll have to select the loops' facets and extrude them only around the eye?

The ZBrush part sounds interesting. I never tried ZBrush but I guess the video will give me a general idea of how to make a good topology.

Edit: Seems I've found some pics about human anatomy, though I will not follow it entirely, just for rounding the head top a bit. I want the face to be a bit rounder than usual, I can barely find pictures of that kind of person. Oh well, will see what this turns out to be tomorrow.

Last edited by SilverFeather; 19-11-2011 at 09:46 PM.
# 30 19-11-2011 , 11:52 PM
Noober than noob
I saw the video and from what I've understood, I need to have as few polygons as possible and as equally spaced edge flows as possible. Also to avoid having multiple edges gathering into a single vertex where I want to animate the face so they should be placed in spots that will not be moving.

About the jaw line, seems kind of hard to figure out a way that will not send me into a domino of redoing the other edges already made on the face. Would be easier for the ones in the back since they don't form anything important though.