Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 61 23-11-2011 , 12:44 AM
Noober than noob

Can't verify on the end of Maya but in C4D I have to increase the dynamics iterations to give a better result otherwise chains won't react properly and things bounce on the floor when coming to a stop. I am sure that there is something much like this in the controls. I would research the keywords of "maya dynamics iterations."

Search item cannot be found.
Googled it and also searched the maya guide but nothing about that. Just an example in Maya 2012 guide about a ball bouncing off passive rigid body, but the system I've set up here is a little different, with 4 rigid bodies and 1 active, while 2 of them are moving and 2 are not. All 4 rigid bodies were selected when I made them passive collider, I didn't select each separately and assign passive collider.

Check the collision tolerance and the step size in the attributes for the rigidSolver.

Changing these also changes the trajectory of the ball. It now misses the red racket again...

Tried to move the red racket... I get an even FREAKIER effect: The ball runs after the racket! O.o So it appears that the red racket has influence on the ball's trajectory too somehow. But it didn't even touch it.

Attached Images

Last edited by SilverFeather; 23-11-2011 at 01:01 AM.
# 62 23-11-2011 , 01:26 AM
Step size is similar to iteration in the sense of being tied together. This would be the base calculation and in C4D I set the steps per frame and then the calculations of those steps. Try putting that down to .01 but be careful because it will slow down the app. This is all hypothetical given me just relating across apps but that is my best advice.

Last edited by Chavfister; 23-11-2011 at 01:45 AM.
# 63 23-11-2011 , 10:38 AM
Noober than noob

Step size is similar to iteration in the sense of being tied together. This would be the base calculation and in C4D I set the steps per frame and then the calculations of those steps. Try putting that down to .01 but be careful because it will slow down the app. This is all hypothetical given me just relating across apps but that is my best advice.

Thanks, seems that kept it under control and it doesn't follow the red racket anymore.
The animation in the viewport runs smooth until the ball hits the table, but then it goes smooth again, so I preview it frame by frame to see how it goes. Will make a new vid of the new setting once I fix the blue racket's position.

Done. More action but had to cut it short due to no more action happening afterwards, blue racket blew it LOL. Also, I think it was much better without compression. I can edit it in Corel now, but youtube ruins quality. Rather have uncompressed avi and compress with VideoPad.
Maya Ping Pong better scene - YouTube

Last edited by SilverFeather; 23-11-2011 at 11:12 AM.
# 64 23-11-2011 , 11:52 AM
Noober than noob
For the next test, I need to know if there's any way that I can make more than 2 objects interact.
The scene will have let's say 5 pieces and I want each one of them to be able to repel each other. Can this be done? If so, with what?

Conditions of the experiment: Each piece must be active collider, as they will all rely on gravity for movement.

EDIT: Never mind, I've got it under control now for next experiment. Time to make a more realistic version of it.

Last edited by SilverFeather; 23-11-2011 at 01:11 PM.
# 65 26-11-2011 , 12:14 AM
Noober than noob
It worked well with cubes, but for some reason it doesn't work with the actual pieces I've modeled to look more like dominoes.
These seem to float and/or spin as if they are in space, even though gravity is applied to them. Tried changing mass, it doesn't help. What could be the problem?
The first domino is pushed by an invisible cylinder (whose shadow can still be seen there though). But then the movement becomes slower until it stops.

Domino fail - YouTube

Last edited by SilverFeather; 26-11-2011 at 12:16 AM.
# 66 29-11-2011 , 02:50 PM
Noober than noob
Back to this project. Should I start creating the ear here (pic 1) or here (pic 2) ?
I think pic 1 would be a good choice though.

Attached Images
# 67 29-11-2011 , 04:44 PM
The thin red line
Still look a bit odd, start pulling around with the move tool with softselect on change the falloff radius............dave

# 68 29-11-2011 , 04:58 PM
Administrator
Have a look at this it might help you get started;

user added image

# 69 29-11-2011 , 05:10 PM
Noober than noob

Still look a bit odd, start pulling around with the move tool with softselect on change the falloff radius............dave

I know, I'll shape the head later on, now I'm wondering where to place the ear, but by the looks of a picture of a real human, seems pic 1 is where I should start building the ear.
I have no idea what the falloff radius is though.

Have a look at this it might help you get started;

user added image

Thanks, well, that's another way of doing it if the tutorial I'm following won't work out right.
Also, how do you get those dots on Face select mode? My maya 2012 doesn't show them. No idea what those dots are either.

# 70 29-11-2011 , 05:20 PM
Administrator
The dots are just to select faces from center instead of whole face, it's in window>prefs>selection>face selection. It used to be the standard in earlier versions of Maya and this is a screen from one of Jay's tutorial which was made in 2008.

# 71 29-11-2011 , 05:25 PM
Noober than noob

The dots are just to select faces from center instead of whole face, it's in window>prefs>selection>face selection. It used to be the standard in earlier versions of Maya and this is a screen from one of Jay's tutorial which was made in 2008.

So when does that feature come in as useful? When you want to avoid selecting other facets by accident?
There's also that mode to select vertices by pressing b, is that useful for when you want to model by moving larger portions of the mesh? Or rather just select individual vertices?

# 72 29-11-2011 , 05:44 PM
Administrator
I don't model anything that's not revolved around a curve user added image so someone else can probably give you a better answer. But yes, I'd think that it would be handy for not selecting back faces by accident. And soft selection is supposed to be one of the best updates in the modeling tools in recent years, but it seems that b key is a bit unfortunate as everyone who starts with maya hits it by accident and gets stuck.

# 73 29-11-2011 , 06:04 PM
Noober than noob

I don't model anything that's not revolved around a curve user added image so someone else can probably give you a better answer. But yes, I'd think that it would be handy for not selecting back faces by accident. And soft selection is supposed to be one of the best updates in the modeling tools in recent years, but it seems that b key is a bit unfortunate as everyone who starts with maya hits it by accident and gets stuck.

I hit it once by accident but wasn't stuck at it, though pretty sure that there are a lot of hotkeys there. I wonder if I can set rendering to some key, I'm sure I assigned it a while ago but forgot how I did that.

Also, my friend Sander already started working on the storyboard, though he's doing it in comic book fashion lol. Still useful to give me a general idea of where to place stuff once I'll be setting up the scenes.
I've been training with lights so far and some texturing. Also studied the dynamics set, though not all of it.

Last edited by SilverFeather; 29-11-2011 at 06:31 PM.
# 74 29-11-2011 , 07:20 PM
Administrator
Go to window>settings/prefs>hotkey editor to assign your hotkeys, try using the site search under the main banner when you get stuck on things it's very accurate if you know what you're looking for and it might save you some time googling stuff SimplyMaya has more than 30,000 threads.

I still think you should focus on doing one thing and doing it well before you move on to the next, especially with something like dynamics which is very technical and difficult to get it to look good. But I already know you're not gonna listen to me lol!

# 75 29-11-2011 , 07:38 PM
Noober than noob

Go to window>settings/prefs>hotkey editor to assign your hotkeys, try using the site search under the main banner when you get stuck on things it's very accurate if you know what you're looking for and it might save you some time googling stuff SimplyMaya has more than 30,000 threads.

I still think you should focus on doing one thing and doing it well before you move on to the next, especially with something like dynamics which is very technical and difficult to get it to look good. But I already know you're not gonna listen to me lol!

Ah so there was the hotkey editor. Thank you X)
Yeah I sometimes search here for things, but the problem sometimes is, like you said, that I don't know what I'm looking for.

I was just experimenting with those to see what my computer can do. Here's how I think: Suppose I make it all the way to dynamics and require to do something that my computer just can't handle. It would just mess up my entire plan so I'd rather make a plan from the start to know what I can and can't do. And what who in our team can and can't do.